icon

’91 chevy s-10 pickup clipping problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amuhlbach91 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

I've had my 1991 Chevy S-10 Extended Cab Pickup for about 3 years now and I've just recently ran into this problem. First I'll start with my setup.

H/U: Kenwood DDX-419

Front Speakers: Mid Drivers: JL Audio C2 Tweeters: Alpine Type-S (Had them flush mounted in the door and the JL tweeter is too small for the hole, also in line X-over between the mid-driver and tweeter.)

Rear Speakers: Factory 4x10

Amplifier: JL Audio JX1000/1D

Subwoofers: (2) Alpine Type-S 15"'s Dual 2-Ohm (Ran all together the final impedance is 2-Ohms at the amplifier)

Battery/Charging System: Had to replace the factory Alt. about 2 years ago, Interstate Megatron 2 under the hood and a Kinetik KHC800 in back along with a Stinger 10 Farad Hybrid Digital Capacitor.

Wiring: Stinger 1/0 g wiring back to the battery, battery to capacitor, then 4 g wire from capacitor to amplifier. Stinger 6000 Series RCA's. Also I created another grounding point from chasis to battery under the hood that is also Stinger 1/0 g.

Since that pretty much covers everything about my sound system in my truck, this is what happens. Depending on the format of the music (audio cd, MP3 cd, USB in MP3 format) I can turn the cd player up to different levels. Audio cd's can go up to 34 before clipping the speakers when the bass hits (max is 35). But when listening to MP3 format I can only turn it up to 28-29 before it starts clipping the speakers out. Now when I say clipping I mean that the SPEAKERS cut out. The subwoofers stay on and everything. It seems to be just a split second that the speakers just cut out then the music comes back on. I've noticed it's when the bass hits. It's really starting to annoy me, and I've tried everything that I could. Any help would be appreciated. Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
First of all, speakers cutting out is not clipping. Clipping is distortion caused by the amplifier exceeding its limits. If your speakers are cutting out then either the amplifier is going into protection or the speakers themselves are shorting out. Since it looks like your main speakers are being powered by the head unit and since all of them cut out at the same time, your problem is likely the amplifier inside the head unit is going into protection and shutting off. Time for a new head unit, most likely.
Support the12volt.com
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
The problem could also be a defective speaker. Try disconnecting each speaker one at a time and see if the problem goes away.
sparky
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I am voting for a speaker as well. Instead of disconnecting speakers. Balance to one side and play it. Balance to the other side, play it. Does it cut off on one side and not the other? If it does cut off only on one side, then use the fader to determine which of the speakers is causing the problem.
amuhlbach91 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry DYohn for using the wrong term, I've been in this field for just over a year. One of the other installers called it clipping so that's what I've been calling it. I ran new front wiring to the doors and everything, while I was doing that I figured I'd run an Alpine KTP-445U. Everything seems to be running smothly now so I've came to the conclusion that it could have been the factory speaker wiring grounding out somewhere. I'm now getting some ground noise through my speakers though. I'm going to try and run the ground from the 445U to a different point and hopefully that fixes it. I have the ground loop isolators already in that came with the 445U. So I hope that it works. Thanks for everybodys input on the subject. I'll be back to let anybody know about the ground noise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic