the12volt.com spacer
icon

how would you disable a compustar pro?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clayman 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote clayman
I recently bought a mint condition 2001 BMW M Roadster and was pleasantly surprised that it came with a top-of-the-line CompuStar Pro alarm remote, one of my favourite systems. To my chagrin though, the alarm was installed by the first owner and the second owner had paid someone to "disable" it. I believe it is a P2W9000 remote start, or similar.
I want to re-enable it, but the previous owner had no idea how it was disabled or where the CompuStar module is. I don't want to pay someone to tear apart the interior looking for the module, so I am hoping to DIY it if possible.
My question is, how would you go about disabling the alarm? What are the different ways this can be done? Can you just unplug the harness going into the CompuStar module? Is there a fuse somewhere you would pull?
Some more info, in case it provides any hints:
-the car is a manual transmission, with immobilizer
-I already checked to see if the alarm was "soft-disabled" in valet mode by turning the ignition on and off rapidly 7 times but the alarm module seems to be completely unresponsive
-the car's lowbeams are always on (not normal) - I remember CompuStars need to tap into the lowbeams and are used as a signal for remote start status, could this be an indication of what was done?
I'm hoping to read as much as I can before I open her up - to be honest I'm a little scared to find cut wires, or stock wiring spliced back together in there.. hoping there's an non-intrusive way to unplug / disable the alarm that I can easily undo!
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote offroadzj
Most installers tuck the module underneath the steering column or above the kick panel. Depending on how well the installation was done, it may be tucked up tight. Check to see that the fuses are installed (at least 2). Do you get anything at all when pressing the remote buttons? Any idea which module is installed?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
clayman 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote clayman
There is absolutely no response when using the remotes. Judging by the fact that the car came with one of the 4 keys missing (presumably used to bypass immobilizer), and there's an RPS sensor on the windshield, (the useless tapping thing) I'm assuming it's a Compustar Pro P2W9000-AS.
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yellow_cake
Look under the hood and see if there is a siren or a hood switch from the alarm. Then see where those wires go in through the firewall. You can then trace them to the module from the inside of the car.
You can also trace the antenna or rps harness to the unit.
As offroadjz said, they're most commonly under steering column.
It's possible that it may have been unplugged, I would hope the guy who 'disabled' it didn't take out the module.
clayman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2013 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote clayman
Found the module. Everything looks like it's still there and plugged in. One of the fuses was removed - I replaced it with a 10A but the unit is still completely unresponsive. Can't get into valet / programming mode at all...
Unplugging the module's power plug (which also connects the siren) intermittantly sets off the siren, so there is SOME power going into the wires...
What else can I do??
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Try plugging it in with the ignition on then reprogramming the remotes.
wade5136 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wade5136
Was your problem with your Compustar 2W9000remote starter ever resolved? I have one in my 2003 Tahoe that quit working. The remote won't work and the programming sequence doesn't work anymore either. What's worse is the security alarm will randomly go off and I am not able to disable it, even tried disconnecting the battery. I stopped at an installation shop and without bringing it into the shop for diagnostics at $95 hour they said it is probably the remote or the brain box. Since it is randomly firing could it be a loose wire or poor ground? Any help would be appreciated.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic