icon

remote start issue tach problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jd_21 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there, I am doing a remote start in a 2005 chevy equinox and the vehicle starts most of the time with the remote starter and is running rough and then dies after about 20 seconds. can this sometimes not starting and dying after the 20 seconds be caused by a misfire and the tach signal not matching the programmed signal in the remote start module?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
What are you using for a bypass?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jd_21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
xpresskit db-all
i have already programmed it
set tach signal in remote start module
set remote start to see the tach signal as well
like i said sometimes it will crank and stumble and not start and then others it will start and run for about 20 seconds and run rough then die. i watched the dash and there is no security light or anything flashing when any of this happens either.
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
does it try to restart when this happens? after it dies.
jd_21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
yes it does try to restart after all this happens
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Try using voltage or tachless setting. If it turns on and stays on, it may be a bad tach signal from whatever source you are getting tach from or not learned correctly.
jd_21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
thats what i am thinking since the vehicle runs rough at all times. so when i did the tach learn procedure it recorded a bad tach signal. I think what im gonna try is getting the customer to take the vehicle to their mechanic and get a tune up done so the vehicle runs properly then i can do the tach learn again and hopefully have it all work properly.
just in case tho if i set it up for tachless or voltage sense and it does the same thing what other suggestions can you give me? I personally think its a bad tach signal but better to explore my options and have as much info as possible. so if anyone else has any tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated to hear them. Thanks a lot guys!
shortcircuit161 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on what model of remote starter you using, there should be a shutdown diagnostic you can run to get an idea of what may be shutting it down (such as no tach, brake shutdown, etc).
I would also double check the connections to the ignition wires to make sure nothing came loose.
jd_21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a viper 4104 and I have triple checked all my connections and they are all right and soldered. There are no issues with any of my connections being bad. the shut down diagnostics you are talking about how do you run this? do the viper remote start systems do this? I would really like to get to the bottom of this ASAP. If you need any other information I would be glad to provide u with it. Thanks again
when the vehicle actually starts and runs for a bit the run time varies, sometimes it is 10-20 seconds and the longest i have had it running is 40 seconds. I am really confused about this because you would think if it was a bypass issue the time from starting to the time it dies would be consistent every time.
shortcircuit161 
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
Search the download section for 4104 and the manual is there. On page 8, it shows you how to check for shutdown diagnostic. First remote start the car and let it die out like it's been doing. Once it attempts 3 times and stops trying, run the diagnostic.
Based on that, you will know or get an idea of where to start. It's usually either tach (which is what i'm betting it is) or an immobilizer issue. But usually as you said, a bypass issue will allow the car to run about 5 seconds, if that, and immediately die and the security light would come on or flash.
Try virtual tach or just turn engine sensing off (don't leave it off permanently) and try to remote start it. See how long it runs.
Another thing I like to try is to start the car with the key and then after a minute or so, press the remote start button to have it take over and remove the key. Does it stay running? For how long? Or does it die again after a minute or less? The bypass module is only used to start the car, so if it's already running with the key the immobilizer won't interfere since the remote starter is just taking over from what the key started. In that case, it's more than likely a tach issue.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic