icon

dodge caliber remote start shuts off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12voltnewguy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

Well,  I bit bullet and shipped crimestopper back to the place I bought it.  They are going to send me an Ultrastart 1280.  I had to pay the return shipping.  So I got the Ultra for what they sell it for on thier site after I paid the return shipping.  Anyone have any advice for me when I get the Ultrastart 1280 model ?  I will be pairing it with the fortin evo-chr harness.  My plan was to hook up the tach w2w with the evo.  If this does not work running a tach wire from under the hood.  The Crime-Stopper started the car with the D2D connection so I dont know if I should run 12 volts from the battery or not.  The hood pin grounded until I get the tach learned I think is probably a good idea along with the system ground.  I was also thinking W2W ultra to bypass on the unlock or unarm as well. 

The following is out of the 80 series installation manual I found online.  If anyone else needs it here is the link:

http://www.ultrastarters.com/manuals/MAN-80s-INSTALL-2011.7.22.pdf

The default setting is for idatalink modules. For Fortin bypass modules powerup the system with the Fortin module connected to the data port to set the default to Fortin bypass module.

Autotach/tachless learning:

When tach learning the system first sends out a request for tach from the data port. If it gets avalid rpm response over 750 rpm then it goes into data tach mode (3 flashes). If there is no response, the unit will look for the tach/tachless.  Once the starter goes on then off, the unit will learn tach, if there is no tach detected within a few seconds after starting, the system will learn in tachless mode after 20 seconds.  If there is no starter detected, the system learns tach after 30 seconds. If no tach is detected thesystem will learn tachless after an additional 10 seconds.

Hybrid mode 1 - This option requires a tach connection. Once the vehicle starts the system will not monitorthe tach input and stay running for 15 minutes.

**Hybrid Mode 2 is also ideal for vehicles with no starter wire or “Automatic Starting”. This is when the vehicle’s starter motor will continue to crank and start the vehicle even if the key is only turned to the start position momentarily.

12voltnewguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

When I bought the Fortin EVO CHR I was under the impression it was plug and play if I got the right remote starter.  I am not thinking the Crimestopper was the right remote starter.  I think the ultra is better way to go.  It is D2D mostly on that one, and the Ultra is supposed to automaticly sense there is a Fortin EVO CHR connected to it when remote started which is a step-up on the Crimestopper already.  I like the installation manuals on 1272, and 1280 but I cannot say for thier other models. 

Now I am a little concerned about this mux wire because on the Fortin website they did not hook up a mux wire on the Compass they did.  They Plugged in the T-Harness.  Held the button down on the CHR while inserting the other end of the T-Harness.  After this the lights began to flash on the CHR.  They turned the key on/off, on/off and then hit the lock button on the factory remote.  The lights went solid on the evo after this if I remember right.  They then plugged in thier remote start and tested the lock and unlock.  Then started the car with the remote starter afterwards doing a key take-over.

It was all plug and play, but they didnt give the brand they were using.  Guess if they did everyone would have bought that brand instead of crimestoppers and ultrastarts.  They did say it was D2D compatible.   What I learned with the Crime stopper is not all features are D2D plug and play compatible with the EVO and to have your tach wire hooked up to the bypass atleast in advance.  The ultra 1280 seems pretty promising in the respect that it will pick up that it is connected to a Fortin product.  To be on the safe side I plan to have my tach wire ran through the firewall, and the tach connected to the bypass at start-up.  If it does not pick up the tach signal this way then I will use the wire I ran through the fireway.  I was reading earlier on another thread that some installer run his wires through the compass firewall directly above the accelloration pedal.  Maybe that information could be of some help to someone else doing one of these.

I will also w2w my unlock or disarms ot the bypass, and ground the hood-pin with the system ground.  I am a believer that a ground a ground as long as its not touching current it is fine.

Thanks everyone and feel free to chime in if you see anything that wont work here or I need to do different.  The whole MUX I never would have known about.  I would have just kept overlooking it, and I am now looking into it in further detail before the ultrastart shows up.

Brad

shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
I'm very surprised you had issues with the Crimestopper unit since the default D2D language is Fortin on those. I use them all the time with idatalink and Fortin with no issues ever. But every situation is different i guess. I do always hardwire the tach to the modules on those but everything works great D2D. I did a 2012 Ford Focus recently with an EVO-ALL and an RS4 and it picked up everything over data (brake, hood pin, locks, etc).
The EVO-CHR is very simple to use also but you may have to configure options on whatever remote starter you get first before it will work properly in data mode. Also, if you are pulling tach from the module, make sure the module is programmed first before trying to start the car for the Ultrastart to learn the tach signal. I believe the Ultrastart will look for tach immediately upon turning on the car the first time after install.
One thing I was curious about and didn't catch before was you said "and ground the hood pin with the system ground". The hood pin is an inhibit wire that will prevent the remote starter from working. If the remote starter is running and you ground the hood pin wire, it will shut the car off instantly. If you have it grounded to begin with, it will not allow the remote starter to start the car at all.
12voltnewguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

It started with both grounded together but as soon as the accessories came on off again.  I put an ultrastart 1272 xr pro in my wifes vehicle about a month ago.  Didnt hook up the hood pin but I am the only one who works on our vehicles anyways.   I think the Crimestopper was bad all together seems like alot of people have them hooked up successfully.  The 1272 I hard-wired the tach in my wifes vehicle.  Seems like they are excellent for finding the signal.  If I am reading correctly they will pull the tach all the way down to 750 rpm.  Havent had any problems with that one in hers.  Ultra seems to make a great unit.  So I returned the Crimestopper.  Probably should have hooked up the tack to the EVO from the start with the install on crimestopper but didnt I will on the Ultra.  Some people are Ford people, others like Chevys, and I have fair luck with Dodges just like I have good luck with Ultrastarts hopefully.  Hers is a 2012 Tacoma we purchased it becuase of Toyotas reliablity ratings, but just testing the waters with that one like I was with the Crimestopper.

Thank-you for the reply I will hook up the tach to the fortin on the Ultra when it arrives.

MUX diodes doesn't apply to the the caliber I believe because it doesnt have a starter wire per say I believe but please correct me if I am wrong because I am new at this and want to do it the right way ?

Has anyone hooked Fortin and Ultra together on an 07-13 Chrysler ??? 

12voltnewguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

Can someone explain what the MUX wire is ?

Googling I get multiplex.

Which color ignition wire is MUX on my 07 Dodge Caliber ?

Do I have to connect 2 wires to the mux wire for a remote start ?

Do I have to wire a relay in that case and use diodes ?  Or just relays ?

I have the Fortin Evo CHR, and I believe it is pnp but I am seeing diagrams including this MUX wire from the ignition switch.

Want to be sure if I splice and solder that I splice and solder the correct wire if this is a connection that needs to be made for the remote start to function.

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
The bypass module should give you detailed instructions on exactly what is required to be connected. I have yet to have a Fortin or Idatalink give me bad instructions regarding any new Chryslers.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
12voltnewguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sent: 05 March 2013 at 11:08 PM

Well, I have not had a chance to work on it. I have been extemely busy with work lately. I have just been driving the car with the bypass wired up, but have not hooked up the remote starter. I posted a response to a video on you-tube while I was going through all of the trouble and someone else ran into the exact same problem I was having with thier Crimestopper.

Hi, Brad:

I was watching the EVO-CHR Installation and Programming video and noticed that you made a comment about having a problem with your EVO CHR with the Crimestopper in your 2007 Caliber. I too in my 2007 caliber am having the same problem with the same system you stated with the car turning off after about 3-5 seconds. Like you it seems to be when the accessories turn on (I had left my radio on so when it came on the car turned off.) Reason for me messaging you was to see if you ever got this problem figured out? If so what did you do? I am waiting for a reply from Fortin to see if they give me a solution. I called them earlier today and the rep was a little hard to understand (they are french canadian), so I am trying the ticket system on their site. IF you didn't figure out the problem, I am sorry for the bother, and if I hear something and fix the problem with my system, I can send the information to you if you like. Thanks in advance!
-Chad

Thanks Chad. No I have not found the problem yet. I have mine uninstalled at the momet and the dash panel apart. My car does not have a starter wire if that helps you at all. We both have what is called a mux wire. Most of our problem from what I am seeing is in the tach signal. I have not been working on mine recently. The tach signal should be hooked up to the evo from the crimestopper but I am guessing our remote starter does not want to read the tach from the evo, or our remote starter turns off by accessory power when the accesories come on. Try running a lead from the battery to the remote starter 12 volts, starting the car with the remote starter and see if the car turns off when the accessories come on and report back to me because that was the next thing I was going to try before throwing it in the box and sending it back but I didnt try that mostly because mine ended up locked out of programming mode. I ended up and sent mine back for the ultra-start, but have not had time to put that one in. Try to find your tach signal from under the hood I would say because I dont think either of us found a valid tach from the back of the fortin wire to rs wire connection. And I am thinking the crimestopper might shut off when the accessories come on but I am not for certain

Re:EVO-CHR in your 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT
Hi Bradley:
I wanted to write back to you and give you an update. Today I first tried connecting the Ignition 1 from the EVO to the Crimestopper (CS). This was a bad mistake. The car started to turn over and I started smelling a electrical smell, figured out it was from the Datalink cable to the CS. I quickly turned everything off and disconnected. Figured out this didn't fix the problem. Then I tried connecting the Tach from the EVO to the Tach of the CS, and still the same problem. So I disconnected everything and took it back to just the T-Harness and the Datalink like in the video. Then I connected the 12V cable from the CS directly to the Battery like you were suggesting. This was a SUCCESS! This seems to be all that we were missing. With this configuration the car starts, stays on. Then the doors lock automatically. Then I got in and pressed the break and it turned off. So that too is working. I then was about to try starting, putting the key in as if I was about to drive, but I caused my battery to drain to the point it would not start and so I didn't get to try that, and it was getting late for me to continue. But I am going to assume it too will work. The only thing that I have to figure out now is how I am going to get a wire from the battery into the cabin of the car.
I did get a reply back from Fortin while I was testing today, and their ticket technician was not helpful. haha.
Anyway thanks for the tip and I hope this helps you with your install of your new system. If everything doesn't work when I go back and finish the install I will let you know if you like.
-Chad

Re:EVO-CHR in your 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT
I was reading a post on another site that person went above accellorator-sorry for the miss spelling-rod that comes in through the firewall. They drilled a hole and used a rubber grommet. Hopefully that will be more helpful to you. Where did you get your tach signal ?
Brad

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2013 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
That response makes sense. The power at the ignition harness is typically low amperage (usually only ~10 amps) on newer Chrysler vehicles and it is recommended to always run the main power from the unit to the battery or a higher amperage source.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic