icon

remote start, 07 tacoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clemsonscj 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ok here's what the local shop is telling me. They seem to think that it sounds like the bypass module didn't program to the key correctly, and that it isn't telling the fuel pump to turn on. He said the way to test it is to unplug the bypass module, put the key in and turn it to run, and then use the remote start to start the engine. He said if it starts first try, that's a very good indication I need to reprogram the key. So I'm gonna try that this afternoon.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

Anything is possible, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.  Almost sounds like he is thinking

Passlock2.  Your Tacoma has a transponder based ignition immobilizer system.  Once the bypass
module is programmed to the car, it handles the bypass thru "Data".  There is no transponder chip
involved at that point.   Additionally, turning the ignition key to the ON position actually does a lot
of the work the remote start H3 wiring does, so tends to prove nothing.

Here are a few tests you can to do see if it is a transponder bypass issue.

1.  Wrap the ignition key's head area with many layers of aluminum foil and try a regular key start.
    The engine should crank but shouldn't start.  There should be some type of "Security" or Engine
    Check light on the instrument panel during the start attempt.
2.  Start the engine with a key ( no foil ) and try going into PitStop mode with the Viper.  If this works OK most
     of the H3 wiring is OK.
3.  Unplug the bypass modules connectors ( as per the Factory Reset procedure ) and try a remote
     start.  You should get the same symptoms as #1 above.
4.  Hold a working ignition key very close to the ignition switch and try a remote start.  The engine
     should start, no lights on the instrument panel.
5.  Complete the rest of the bypass module Factory Reset procedure.  Then set the Installation Mode
     and lock it in.  Then do the bypass to vehicle programming.  Make sure that you get the correct,
     expected response at each step.

Try another remote start with no key near the ignition switch.

The bypass module's wire connections to the Tacoma are critical and must be properly soldered and

well insulated.  Are you going W2W or D2D between the Viper and the FLCAN?  Are you sure the FLCAN
is flashed with the FLC-AL(TB) TL firmware?

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I'm excluding myself from any further posts on this thread, I don't need any more exiles!
clemsonscj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Anything is possible, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.  Almost sounds like he is thinking

Passlock2.  Your Tacoma has a transponder based ignition immobilizer system.  Once the bypass
module is programmed to the car, it handles the bypass thru "Data".  There is no transponder chip
involved at that point.   Additionally, turning the ignition key to the ON position actually does a lot
of the work the remote start H3 wiring does, so tends to prove nothing.

Here are a few tests you can to do see if it is a transponder bypass issue.

1.  Wrap the ignition key's head area with many layers of aluminum foil and try a regular key start.
    The engine should crank but shouldn't start.  There should be some type of "Security" or Engine
    Check light on the instrument panel during the start attempt.
2.  Start the engine with a key ( no foil ) and try going into PitStop mode with the Viper.  If this works OK most
     of the H3 wiring is OK.
3.  Unplug the bypass modules connectors ( as per the Factory Reset procedure ) and try a remote
     start.  You should get the same symptoms as #1 above.
4.  Hold a working ignition key very close to the ignition switch and try a remote start.  The engine
     should start, no lights on the instrument panel.
5.  Complete the rest of the bypass module Factory Reset procedure.  Then set the Installation Mode
     and lock it in.  Then do the bypass to vehicle programming.  Make sure that you get the correct,
     expected response at each step.

Try another remote start with no key near the ignition switch.

The bypass module's wire connections to the Tacoma are critical and must be properly soldered and

well insulated.  Are you going W2W or D2D between the Viper and the FLCAN?  Are you sure the FLCAN
is flashed with the FLC-AL(TB) TL firmware?

I'm doing D2D. And yes I'm sure it's got the proper firmware because I reset it and reloaded it myself. But when programming the key it didn't seem to do like the directions said it would. So that's kinda why I'm leaning towards that method. But if turning the key to the "run" position doesn't determine anything, couldn't I just put the key in the ignition and not turn it at all and try it?
clemsonscj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Update:
Truck has been sitting for approximately 7 hours or more, put the key in the ignition, didn't turn it, just put it in. Hit the remote start button and started up like a champ. I'm gonna start with reprogramming the bypass module.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
if the bypass wont program as per the instructions then most likely you have a misplaced wire. bad power, loose ground, missing ignition inputs, etc.
clemsonscj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
if the bypass wont program as per the instructions then most likely you have a misplaced wire. bad power, loose ground, missing ignition inputs, etc.
Reset and reprogrammed the bypass and all is working flawlessly! Thanks again for all your help I know this has been way more complicated than it ever should have been.
Page of 7

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic