icon

spy remote start/alarm wiring, 85 c 10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbncnow 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a spy brand one way car alarm remote start off e bay,the installations instructions are horrible! they have 6 wires(yellow,yellow/blk,white,WHITE/ blk and orange,ORANGE / blk) some with fuses that come from the unit that are supposed to interface with whatever typeof lock system you have, im working on an 1985 Chevy C-10 Silverado i restored with factory locks,i think i have 3 wire positive trigger,i need help with that and theres a engine cut off circuit a yellow wire and it shows a relay used but again the instructions dont say if its a positive or negative trigger, and theres two brown wires that just say light flash outputs but not what kind of lights parking ,dome ect. also theres no tach wire! just a gray wire you wrap around a spark plug! what the heck is that! i am not very happy with what i bought at all, any help would be appreceated thanks!
james bradley
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
OK as soon as I got to the tach part I thought bin it!
The lock part, 6 wires mean internal relay driven the instructions should show the wiring for POS trigger or lock/unlock normally closed (NC) not used, 2 commons two a 5 amp constant 12v+. 2 normally open (NO) lock/unlock to the trigger wires at the switch.
The two browns are for your parking light circuit, join together if only one required.
You should have a wire marked GWA, ground when armed or armed output. Use this diagram FCE_cut.bmp
Having given you that info from general experience I strongly suggest you don't proceed with that POS!
jbncnow 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey,man, thank you for responding,i looked at a lot of these alarms remote start things i used to install Code Alarm brand back 20 plus years ago back then you had to make up your own relays make up your valet switch and tie a bunch of grounds together ect.and there must have been 5 different things you had to ground to a common point and only two buttons on the remote, but even then i could pick up the phone in 1987-88 talk to a real person about ANY issue i had with the various Code Alarm units we sold but this thing i just couldnt believe the terrible manual any alarm i have installed had a very detailed illutration about what each wire did like positive or negative, the miliamps ratings,warnings not to use this wire for controlling stuff without a relay ect,i thought well mabey the installation manual was just left out of the box cause the unit looks high quality has nice connections plenty of quality wire even wire ties,it was packaged very nicely but i guess its made in China,like a lot of stuff on e bay,i liked the chrome remotes cause the 85 Chevy truck has a lot of chrome on it and they are nice looking and durable feeling and hey it was only 60 bucks so what the heck? hey how bad could it be lol? plus the seller on e bay has been more than willing to stand by it if it didnt work i dont even know it the remote start will even start the 350 crate engine with a carborator that you have to set the choke,pump the gas but if it wont work i could just not use the remote start, Someday id like to put a stand alone fuel injection system in, but id be happy if the locks worked from the remotes and the alarm might slow somebody down from stealing it,this is a very nice truck its a 85 Chevy Silverado shortbed,i have restored from the frame up,its basicly a new 1985 truck im doing it for my stepfather so it needs to work, i probably should have bought a Clifford or some well known brand but we both have nearly 10 grand in this thing and i was just trying to save him some dough,recently i bought this POS Ouku DVD/CD /radio with back up cam on e bay its a single DIN unit made in where else China!, what a pile of crap! i think the owners manual was made by these same people! half the functions like the bluetooth didnt work, the picture was awfull and the screen went out before i even got the truck running!and the one year warrantee is up and it had an analog tv tuner in it!totally useless since the US has been digital since 2007 so i tossed it right in the bin and bought a super nice JVC KD AVX -2 dvd unit, WHAT a difference! but anyway back to this alarm,there's no valet switch,mabey i better stick a toggle in somwhere in the power wire in case this thing freaks out,i guess the only thing to figure out now is the engine cut off circuit, i guess the yellow wire is a neg output to the relay coil Spy provided that shuts off the ignition coil keeping the car from running if somebody gets in and breaks the steering collum, usually it interrupts the starter circuit so the engine wont even turn over.Well i hope wrapping the gray wire around a plug wire will be enough to provide a current so the alarm knows the motor has fiered and is running, i dont know why they didnt just use an oil pressure signal or a crank pulse or just a conventional tach input, and you know i dont even think theres a domelight supervision wire like on most alarms!, and are the two brown wires a pos or a neg output? usually they are a positive output,oh well, anyway sorry this is such a long message but thats my situation, i really apprecate your response!ill post my results!
james bradley
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Bottom line, I've been installing Clifford kit in the UK since before they were officially imported, about 0.1% failure rate and even then antenna, siren almost never the unit, same with Alpine but you get what you pay for.
P.S. Forget the R/S on a carbed car.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I just realised that a branded basic Code cost me equivalent of $60 + $50 for remote start.
You didn't even get a wonderful deal.
jbncnow 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Yea i thought that too but i want to install stand alone fuel injection someday just thought id get it for future use,the suff looks of good quality,especially the remotes the connectors are solid latching and the circuit board looks good mabey the componants are no name or something i dont know where they cut corners it was definatly the owners maual, hounestly i had to get a magnifieng glass to see some of it, its a joke!hey it was 60 bucks not 200for alarms doing the same features but i didnt expect much for the money i paid but i thought id try it out and i would have the wires soldered already for a nicer unit, the reviews all said it worked for the most part except for two major things, a lot of people experenced "overcranking" or it started it died right away cause the alarm couldnt detect that the car had started,i dont know why they wouldnt use an oil pressure input or a tach signal, heck even a increase in bat voltage as the altenator kicked in seems like a better idea than 6 turns of wire around a spark plug wire, as i said in a previous post i installed Code alarms for a living 24 years ago and they came with very detailed install manual saying its a pos or neg output, if you needed a relay ect,and how to wire the different door lock systems,i had a big book with tech data sheets on any car and a big 800 number to call ,it says in big letters NEED HELP? call 800 bla bla bla,shoot this thing doesnt even have a serial number or a model number on it on the outside i mean its like they dont want you to get help, it looks like the people building it and marketing it wernt on the same planet, oh well thanks for your input!
james bradley
jbncnow 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, i hear ya,live and learn,think ill send it back!
james bradley
jbncnow 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
yes i know now lol thanks
james bradley

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic