the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how to clean amplifier gain control?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fuster 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2013 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hi:
I have a gain control on an amplifier that makes noise when you turn it (sounds scratchy through the audio outputs). Is there any way to clean the gain control?
It looks to be all self contained with no holes to put a nozzle from a spray cleaner. The only access I can see is the shaft going into the gain module. If anyone has had success cleaning these, please give me some advice. Thanks.
Mike
Chronic, late stage optimist.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2013 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Are you able to remove the pot from the circuit board? If so, remove it and go to the hardware store and purchase a pipe nipple large enough for the pot to fit into. 2 or 3 inches long. Also purchase 2 plastic end caps to fit onto the nipple. Drill a hole in one of the plastic caps. Take the cap without the hole and screw it onto the nipple. Place the pot into the nipple and shoot enough WD-40 into the nipple to cover the pot. Screw the other cap onto the top of the nipple. Using an air compressor and an air nozzle, pressurize the nipple to inject the WD into the pot.
Or take a small screwdriver and turn it end to end about 50 times. It will clean itself.
fuster 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
OK, what about the residue left from the WD 40? Won't that act as a conductor to short the thing out?
What about using electrical specific cleaners?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2013 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
WD-40 works great. Some electrical cleaners will destroy the plastic of the pot. WD-40 is the best choice for this and many other electrical connection issues.
Did you see the part at the end, about turning it end to end 50 times. It will clean itself.
fuster 
Posted: February 02, 2013 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I may have misread that last sentence in your original post. You must mean to turn it 50 times back and forth WITHOUT using assistance of a cleaning solvent.   If that is the case, I can do that without removal and I may just do that instead.
As to the WD-40, wow. I have never heard of using it to clean things like potentiometers, etc. DeOxit and other similar products are what I was thinking of using. CRC makes Electromotive, which is a straight solvent that appears to be a chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent like carbon tetrachloride or something molecularly similar. It works great to clean off contacts in electric motors and to clean contacts for 12 volt wiring connectors.   Never actually used it on a potentiometer or other panel or board mount variable device.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic