horn honks on remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stone007 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I've just finished installing a code alarm ca6552 on my ford f250 super duty 2008 with gas engine. Everything works great except for when I remote start the truck the horn goes off but the truck continues to run. Is this maybe related to a needed bypass module? I just figured the truck wouldn't start if I needed the bypass module.
If a module is what I need which one would you recommend?
Thanks ahead of time for your replies.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'm guessing you've connected the vehicle's horn trigger wire to the R/S GWR wire rather than horn honk, if constant. Check your wiring.
If it sounds once, then you might have connected it to a pulse before start wire.
Again check your wiring.
Lastly is there a factory alarm on the vehicle?
Does the R/S actually work? You haven't explained that part too well.
Because if it does start, forget the by-pass, not needed
stone007 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
As I said the truck starts and continues to run but the horn goes off, not just once but steady. I double checked all my wiring and I definitely have the horn honk out put tied to the trucks horn trigger wire.
BROWN / black wire from the alarm system to the truck horn trigger
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
It's either an incorrect connection or it's the factory alarm. Disconnect the horn output and see if it continues. If it does then you have a factory alarm getting set off. If it does not go off then you have either an incorrect connection or a bad module.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
stone007 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, cut the BROWN / black horn wire coming from the module and no more horn.
I was wondering about having a bad module. Was hoping it was a programming issue for that output but from what I can tell that output is not programmable...
Thanks for your help
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Why do amateurs also think of a bad module first?
Reputable manufacturers like A/Vox Prestige have something like a 0.01% failure rate.
Test that horn output from the unit.
stone007 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Reputable manufacturers like A/Vox Prestige have something like a 0.01% failure rate.
Well after checking everything else wiring, programming, diagrams, and confirming the horn output from the module goes to ground when remote start is activated, I lean towards problem with the equipment. I did check here also so your remarks are presumptuous at best.
These systems aren't the easiest to put in but it's not rocket science either so you poking cheap shots is immature and uncalled for. People come to this site for help and information, not to get called names and ridiculed...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Not a cheap shot and you might be the exception but experience and checking with other pros gives me the figure I quoted, I wasn't having a poke, that comment was experience based.
Must have had unsolvable problems with one unit and work-arounds with three others in the last 20+ years.
I'm sure other regulars will back my comments.
Avox/.Prestige is a bit lacking in it's installation advice but apart from the OLED remotes on some models it's a good, solid product.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
We had nothing but problems when we carried Code Alarms back in the C.City days. I think just about every single one we did came back with module failures within the first year. Never was there an installation issue found, all modules just went bad after a few months. I've had negative fews of them ever since.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
It's either a bad module or a loose wire. I can count on one hand how many loose wires I have found in the last decade of installing.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic