the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alarm short/issue?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
it has to be something wrong with the ground path to brain that controls the siren or maybe it is shorted with some other wire that is 12v but there isnt enough of a connection to give the siren the full 12v, that last one is a long shot but ive seen some strange things over the years.
i know you said you check and even moved the ground to a different spot but have you checked the actual connector to the alarm brain? sometimes the pins can come loose and barely make contact. or maybe the ground wire got pinched at some point and is mostly cut internally with only a few strands hanging on inside the wire. these are all long shots but they are possibilities.
try using a new piece of wire and jam it into the same hole as the ground on the main plug to the alarm, then run the other side to a known good ground, maybe even directly to the battery and see of the sound goes away.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Did you test each wire separately to see which is giving you the issue. My money is on the ground, but anything is possible. Here is what to test:
1) Voltage with Red lead on siren + and black lead on battery ground
2) Voltage with Red lead on battery + and black lead on siren ground
Let us know what you find with each. But for the record, my money is with sound on this one being a ground issue.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,676
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
If you have 10.2 volts getting to the siren and it is not loud, I think you have a Bad Siren.
xtu2 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Great, thanks for the tips. I will muck around with this over the weekend or tomorrow evening. I know it's not the siren, I replaced it with a factory new one and it sounds just the same.

xtu2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so I did what was suggested.

Ground battery to red 9.66; Red battery to ground 12.33

I also tested the speaker to ensure it works properly - it does! I forgot how loud 128db in a closed garage is! I pulled the Automate 553 unit out and traced the ground. I found it to be OK and followed all the way through. The brown wire from the H1 harness about 6 inches up tested at 10.23. I repaired the busted wire I described previously with an inline fuse, no change with the siren issue. It seems that the unit is properly grounded, but the unit is sending a constant 10.23v to the brown wire. Thoughts? I tested the other wires out of the harness and most of them varied around 9-10v~

xtu2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention I also bypassed the ground from the brain, same issue. (Disconnected my plug, removed ground, plugged back in - brown to siren from brain still intact. Connected seperate ground wire from siren to chassis ground).
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
If I'm reading that correctly, with the black lead on the battery ground and the red lead on the speaker + you are getting 9.66v? Is that with the alarm being triggered (so the speaker would be at full volume). If that is true then it is NOT the ground and you have a problem with the positive trigger side. Do the same test, but test the siren output directly from the brain (as close to the connector as you can get or preferably right on the connector pin from the back side of the connector). If you still only get 9.66v then do these tests:
1) Red lead to main 12v input of alarm (use the smaller gauge input if the alarm has it, not the heavy gauge r/s inputs) and black lead to battery ground.
2) Red lead to battery ground and black lead to alarm main ground.
Let us know what you find. Either the main unit ground is bad, you have a bad 12v input, or the unit is bad.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
xtu2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Kenny

The alarm speaker, if I plug it in, is on constantly. I didnt bother to check the voltage with the vehcile alarm actualy engaging. I will try that, and your tests, tonight and report back. I did do the first one you suggested though, tested siren output 6 inches from the brain (at my plug splice), I also tested it right at the pin connector at the brain, both read  in the 10.2~ range. When I did this test, I was grounding with the pin connetced to the brain, I did not try to the chassis ground directly.

xtu2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2013 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

Also just to be on the same page, you want me to test from wire H1/11 as described in the manual?

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/automate/N553A.pdf

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2013 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
Kenny, I asked the OP to test main voltage in my first post!
Remember our recent PMs?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic