icon

2012 f150 rear defrost trouble

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioclass 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I've got a viper 5704 and dball that I have just installed. The alarm and remote start are working great so far. I wired up the rear defrost per this wiring diagram, as well as programming the alarm unit itself to use a latched connection (Menu 3, Menu Item 11, Opt 2). I verified the wire with a multimeter while cycling the defrost button before I hooked the wire up.
The problem is: When I enable the rear defrost via the remote (Level 4, RS button) I receive an indication from the remote that the Defrost has been turned on, and I can hear the remote start unit cycle a relay a few times, but I do not get an indication on the rear defrost button inside the vehicle. Normally when the rear/mirror defrost is on, the button lights up orange to confirm, but this is not happening.
Have I wired something up wrong here? All connections were soldered properly (not saying I couldn't have messed it up, but I did avionics work in the Army and I'm quite proficient in testing and soldering).
Is the light not GOING to illuminate based on how the button operates? Short of feeling the mirrors (it's not quite cold enough to really be sure by touch) how can I tell if the system is powered up?
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
The ones I have done some light up some dont really hard to say . Most do light up though. I know that you should be able to check the ohms at the rear window then turn on the defrost with the button. Then remote start it and see if you get the same reading. Easy way to check our get out a laser thermometer and check it out.
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
you could also meter dc voltage at the defroster connections.  I know for my 08 escape it doesn't turn on the indicator but if I meter the connections it's on.  In my 03 subie it doesnt turn on the indicator but it meters.
Advanced
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Test it out and let us know !!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic