icon

Sub Flutter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrenchmnky 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2003 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

Let me start off by letting you guys know what I have.

1994 Silverado EXT Cab

KDC-322 Head unit, KDC-C719 CD Changer, Alpine 4x6 (Dash), Pioneer 6x9 (rear), MTX Thunderform (under the rear seat).

Now on to my problem,  With the engine running, volume down all the way or in between songs there is engine noise making the sub vibrate or flutter.  I have gone to www.crutchfield.com and followed all of their online tips for curing engine noise.  I have called twice to converse with a tech and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the noise. I have gone from checking the Antenna to installing and then removing some inline noise filters on the constant and acc wires to the head unit.  My next step might be to purchase some Monster brand rca cables and some  Mu metal to cover the changer cable (just on the off chance).  I have worked on this for several nights with no improvement.  I do have to say that this is the first time I have owned a sub and amp.  Am I just spinning my wheels, should I let it be?  To Me, It seems that there shouldn't be any flutter at all.  I would really apreciate it if anyone has any Ideas to help me along on this. 

Another issue is,  any of you have a changer w/sub set up...if you do, are you able to hear the changer change discs thru the sub?  Maybe the 2 problems are connected?

I look forward to your responses.

thanks, Wrenchmnky 

Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Check your grounds. Make sure they are clean, bare metal, and at the frame.
Also, make sure your power wires and RCA's/speaker wires are run down opposite sides of the vehicle.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
KBToys 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2003 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you are using c@ppy RCA's it will do that too.
wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2003 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
No I have Monster XLN301 cales.  I have the ground from the head unit and amp stuck on the frame (same place).  I think I might have narrowed it down to the amp itself.  Is this possible.  I ran the headunits rca's through my home reciever and hooked up a 6x9 and there was no noise. I then ran a second set fo rca's from the home unit in to the amp and the headunit rca's to the Aux on the home unit then the noise was back.  I think it might be the amp.  Let me know what you think?
Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Could be the amp ,but i would first try and find a new ground location for the amp and see if the noies goes away . And 2nd how did you run the power and signal cables to the amp? are they on oppisite sides of the truck?
wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

bberman1 wrote:
Could be the amp ,but i would first try and find a new ground location for the amp and see if the noies goes away . And 2nd how did you run the power and signal cables to the amp? are they on oppisite sides of the truck?

I have switched the ground from the sheet metal (twice) then this last toime I ground down to bare metal on the frame and attached the grounds with a star washer and nylock nut.  The power is ran on the diver side and the signal cables are on the passenger side.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
I would take the thunderform (assuming it has built in amplification) out of the truck hook it up directly to the battery, Make sure the + cable is fused and for the remote wire just connect it to the + side of the battery and it will turn the amp on and to turn it off just disconnect the remote wire from the + batt terminal I would then hook up the home receiver and see if you still get interference. Do that and let us know what happens
wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

bberman1 wrote:
I would take the thunderform (assuming it has built in amplification) out of the truck hook it up directly to the battery, Make sure the + cable is fused and for the remote wire just connect it to the + side of the battery and it will turn the amp on and to turn it off just disconnect the remote wire from the + batt terminal I would then hook up the home receiver and see if you still get interference. Do that and let us know what happens

Did that and the noise was still there. (your assumption about the thunderfrom being built in amp was correct)  I believe it is the amp.  Because It willhit good for about 10 min then after that the sound seems sandy or distorted.  I called crutchfield Monday about it and they are sending me a new thunderform.  Hopefully this one will survive the shipping.  I think the 1st one might have been dropped.  When I move the box around I can here stuff making noise in the enclosure.  I will keep you popsted after I get the new Thunderform.Sub Flutter -- posted image.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

If you took it out and the noise was still there even through your home receiver then I would say the amp is bad. But better luck with the 2nd one.

wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1 wrote:

If you took it out and the noise was still there even through your home receiver then I would say the amp is bad. But better luck with the 2nd one.

What is your opinion of MTX equipment?  I got the new Thunderform this afternoon.  I swaped it out at work on my lunch break.  My co worker noticed the prefabed harness the ground wire on it was frayed.  so I pulled the wires out and when I get home tonight I am going to run the new harness. (sounds like a ground problem in the first place.)   I wish I noticed it earlier.  oh well we will see  I ll keep you posted.  Thanks so far for your replies. Sub Flutter -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic