the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2004 chrysler sebring sedan radio harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
myonus 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

This is a shout out to anyone ever looking for the color coding of the stock OEM stereo/ CD changer control on this particular unit.   

First let me say this has been a grueling week of research. 

When I first purchased the Metra kit for OEM harness #71-6502 it became quite clear that i was in for trouble.  None of any diagram or data sheet matched the OEM harness wiring in my vehicle.   Fair enough;  so I review the pin diagrahm.  And disregard the wire color completely.  Which is exactly what you have to do;  and I mean HAVE to.   The wiring that goes into this radio example power/ ground/  are relatively easy to spot,  but not when they are pink and brown.  I would think that it would be easy to review the pin diagram and see that the colors coming out of the radio for the speakers,  are not matching the color on the service schematic.  I can just trace them down to the speaker....WTH?!?!?  the speaker wires have completely changed colors.  and now dont resemble anyhing i just reviewed.  So how do I match polarity of the connections where they make contact to the speaker?  Well,  the speaker has no sign of idification,   the wires colors are mismatched.  And the connections are a OEM plug that could be anyones guess.  So I resort to the old schoool technition that still living in the 70's.   I put a AA battery to the speaker wires and see which way the speaker moves when they are connected/  dont try with your new speakers,  you may burn a voice coil. 

Well,  my suspicions were foiled as I was determined to uncover the conspiracy of the year,  how OEM mfgs are determined to never have the cars they make ever tampered with aftermarket products.  Turns out the polarity of the speaker is the same as my new Rockfords. 

But please tell me why on the green earth would you go out of your way to design a wiring harness that specifically changes color and stripe indicators on the other end???  I tell you why,  so you have to remove the whole freaking harness to determine if you are actually holding the same wire or not. 

Or maybe.........the just ran out of gray with black stripe and red with violet stripe and decided to use the pink and seafoam wire they pulled off that old Yugo in the junk yrd. 

My stereo sound freaking fantastic.   And if I didnt take a minute to relax, i probably would have snapped. 

Oh and by the way here is the color code Metra gives out (does not match the Chrysler service manual schematic)

12 volt ignition         red

12 volt batt yellow

ground        black

antenna      blue

amp turn on          blue/ white  

amp ground         BLACK/ white

illunination          orange

dimmer   ORANGE / white

phone mute       brown

right front +      gray

right front -       gray black

left front +       white

left front -        white black

right rear +    violet

right rear -    violet/ black

left rear +      green

left rear -        GREEN/ black

single plug ( not the 2-plug version)

OEM chryser service manual has completely different colors

AND my car has different colors too,  so its anyone guess.

Have fun!  Life is too short to be wasting time on a computer,,    get out a live a little.

Regards,

Michael  (not the brightest bulb on the dash)  2004 chrysler sebring sedan radio harness -- posted image.

Be not guided by morality, but rather, integrity.
myonus 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
2004 Chrysler Sebring LX Sedan 4 DR    2.4 DOHC  Next month I'm dropping a Turbo in it.   lol
Be not guided by morality, but rather, integrity.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic