icon

viper 5904 mounting proximity to 508d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
felixdkat 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
havent installed an alarm in my car for over ten years and some of the new stuff is a bit overwhelming.... this is a fantastic forum for information though..... thanks to those that run it.
i am putting a viper 5904 in an 1972 ranchero. unfortunately none of the wiring details in the database go back that far. i think i have that part figured out though.
my BIG question for the pros here is how much distance must be between the control unit and a proximity detector (508d). i.e.- can you velcro them together and not have rf problems? or should they be a foot apart, or more?
also same question for a digital tilt sensor (507m) and a voice module (516L)....
   ----------------------
any input is appreciated
thanks,
fdk
:->
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
1972 FORD Ranchero
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
The 508d is mounted in either the roof lining (best) facing down or between the seats.
It isn't really going to work anywhere else such as taped to the ECU.
507 should be flat to the floor.
Read the instructions.
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll--
thanks for taking the time to reply.
my ranchero has a bench seat, so i dont think i can mount the 508d underneath a seat (can i)- not sure?
the headliner is the old fashioned kind - think classic mustang with two metal rods called bows. there really isnt much room ( 1/2" - 1/4") between the headliner and the roof. Unlike most modern cars there arent many overhead hiding places.
I was going to mount the 5904 and the 508d in about the same place in the dash. right about where the original 6x9 speaker would have gone. this is on a horizontal plane so i figured i might as well mount the digital tilt sensor in the same place.
my main concern was if the rf from any device would interfere with any other device.
If the 508d needs a "clear view" without any obstructions then perhaps this wont work at all.
re manuals-   yes, i did read them, and many forum posts as well - along with install guides, etc....   nothing really addressed rf interference from one device to another or mounting restrictions with regard to any one device interfering with another. With all of the experts here who install every day I was hoping to get some input in regards to any rf problems anyone had had.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Won't work from under the seat, top dash will give you falsies possibly from around the hood, in other words it will protect the hood rather than the car.
If the speaker grill is metal it won't work at all!
Those awful hoop linings can be dropped but very very carefully.
There are no mounting or interference restrictions in my view except for mounting too many sensors, e.g. a 508 along with a glass break, the zone warning chirp has been known to set off a glass break.
The 507 and 508 should be OK.
A 516L IMO is a waste of time.
There should be NO RFI problems associated with the close proximity.
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
"A 516L IMO is a waste of time."
it is the little kid in me that wanted it.....   i thought that a recorded "rattle snake rattling" for the warn away would be interesting......
my wife will simply want to know why i wasted $$$ on something so stupid.... so i me reconsider, as not having it is one less thing to break...
thanks for the information re: placement!
I have been giving it some careful thought and may create a space for the sensor be mounted by fabricating a custom panel beneath the rear window. I already built special integrated enclosures for the subs. I have two 6" speakers that are wired opposite (lr to rl) for fill behind each passenger. I am going to angle them slightly towards the passenger and driver respectively. I could then leave a mount point in the center of the back window (bottom) for the 508d...
this would leave a 508d at shoulder height against the bottom of the rear window in the cab facing up. would this sound ok, and perhaps protect the bed to a degree as well?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic