the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amplifier wire management

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
myonus 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2013 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,  Ive seriously looked online for two days trying to locate competition style cable clips for power/ ground and accessories.  I vision a simple gold plated clip with a star or hex nut screw that can be used on a amplifier rack display board.   So far all i've found is kickers plastic cable clips.  $5 each?  seriously?

I have found plenty of regular steel clips and tons of plastics,  but what does the guy with every connector, screw, and wire distributor upgraded to gold plating buy to hold his $15 per foot wire? lol  exaggeration of course.  But seriously,  is this an untapped market? or have i missed somthing here?  

Last resort I will have the Home Depot 25 cent specials gold plated;  I suppose that would cost as much as making them myself or custom made by a shop. 

Im stumped,  and have put the installation on hold until I can find a cable management solution that will get attention.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

amplifier wire management - Last Post -- posted image.

Be not guided by morality, but rather, integrity.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2013 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure you use non-ferric metals and non-conducting gold.
The induction losses might lose you a prize, or melt the cable, or flame etc.
myonus 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2013 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

oldspark wrote:
Make sure you use non-ferric metals and non-conducting gold.
The induction losses might lose you a prize, or melt the cable, or flame etc.

Holy Smoke Batman!  .......wait that wasnt funny?  neither is my lil ride if it's on fire.  So non-ferric metals and non-conducting gold.  If this is so,  then why would the use the gold plating on plugs,  battery clips and just about everything that touches the actual current?  I would think a strap around the insulated wire would be less conductive.  Your advice well heard,  and i am emailing the plating service to inquire.  Thank you

Be not guided by morality, but rather, integrity.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2013 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Steady on, it was in part a joke. But if using ferric steel under that gold etc, then it's like a ferrite bead that is used to attenuate high frequency noise (and for computer monitors, USB cables, power cables etc).
The attenuation on audio frequencies should be negligible - else they would get hot.   
Electrical induction would be minimal as (1) it is perpendicular to the cable & (2) the ferrite path is interrupted (though the electrical conductive path isn't).
And it is important to note that my electomagnetic and ferric knowledge is old and forgotten or likely to be confused. I have had little need for it - apart from basic application and problem prevention.   
Nevertheless, plastic cable clips tend to be the norm. Maybe that has to do with the crap I mentioned though it is more likely to the avoidance of insulation wear as well as lightness, cheapness, durability etc.
Metal clips are often used around conduit, but that's where the conduit protects the insulation of the cables within. (They are also often externally where plastics etc can break down due to heat, cold, and UV, else in chemical or hot environments.)
Also be aware of my anti-bling and cosmetic stance against car audio - for example, people that mount caps solely for the bling factor.
I would rather spend on performance else other things, not costly gold plating etc - especially when IMO the whole notion of low voltage (12V) high current cables from the alternator etc to the amp - and low-Ohmic speakers - is so flawed.
Besides, cosmetically I feel that cables and distribution should be hidden from view (maintenance and checking is another issue).
And I prefer metallic (silver etc) over gold.
BTW - gold plated connectors are not the same issue - they are in contact with the conductors. And their use is to avoid oxidisation that leads to poor connectivity.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic