icon

tuning my amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mantasuk 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2013 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all. Can you guys help me out to tune my amp?
My amp manual says RMS Power@14.4V, into 2Ohm = 800w so square root formula doesn't mach the car amp manual. If I calculate with the square root I need 40.00V which is three times greater than stated in the manual. Does this formula apply to every amp or is it something I don't understand? Can I apply this square formula rule to calculate other amps or follow manual instructions only? Not every amp provides these settings. Please help! :( Thanks!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2013 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Read the "How to set your gain" thread in the Hot Topics section.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
voltage on the input gain does not equal power out. they are independent of each other.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
This post was originally in " How to set your Gains"... Pretty sure he is lost...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
mantasuk wrote:
... RMS Power@14.4V into 2Ohm = 800w ... I need 40V which is three times greater than stated in the manual.
That is correct.
The amp has an internal SMPS that converts the input DC voltage to the voltage required for 800W into 2 Ohms.
The power formula is correct. An SMPS is required for amps over ~200W into 1 Ohm, 100W into 2 Ohms, etc.
Oddly enough this same question (with different values) was asked years ago on this forum yet nobody gave that answer. Poor guy, he never returned - though he may have read my PM that explained it to him.
One interesting question - if an amp has an SMPS, why does it have to be 14.4V for max power since the input voltage shouldn't matter - ie, 12V - 14.4V should be capable of max power output.
And if you read the specs on some high output amps, the output increases squarely with the input voltage as if the amp is a resistive load - which it can't be since it has an SMPS...
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
This post was originally in " How to set your Gains"... Pretty sure he is lost...
OK, well my advise to the poster, if the info in that thread is too difficult, is to take the system to a local installer and pay them to do it for you. :)
Support the12volt.com
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
tommy... wrote:
OK, well my advise to the poster, if the info in that thread is too difficult, is to take the system to a local installer and pay them to do it for you. :)
That's a big 10-4...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
I can't see anything in How to set your Gains that answers the OP's question. There is mention 30V etc, but not how that relates to 14.4V.
It is a simple question with a simple answer. Soundnsecurity touched on it.
What's the big deal?
wth has this got to do with setting gains?
Why send the OP to an installer to get an answer to his question?
And why insult the OP?
DYohn 
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
I can't see anything in How to set your Gains that answers the OP's question. There is mention 30V etc, but not how that relates to 14.4V.
It is a simple question with a simple answer. Soundnsecurity touched on it.
What's the big deal?
wth has this got to do with setting gains?
Why send the OP to an installer to get an answer to his question?
And why insult the OP?
The OP's question is about setting gains.
Support the12volt.com
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2013 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Though it may relate to setting gains, I saw the OP's question(s) as being in relation to Power@14.4V into 2Ohm = 800w & the 40V required, namely:
Does this formula apply to every amp...?
Can I apply this square formula rule to calculate other amps...?
IMO the answer is simple. YES.
It's a case where someone has added a bit of their own analysis and found a contradiction. A case of a little bit of knowledge.... But so what? The same often occurs on the12volt, and not just by the OPs and noobs!   
As to the 12V or 14.4V versus 40V output etc versus its impact on setting gains, fine, the other thread addresses that.
But why not solve the OP's dilemma with an appropriate reply first?
I do recall in that earlier thread I referred it seemed no one could answer that. That was back in my early days on the12volt and it did somewhat trouble me at the time.   
Simply pointing out that the output was 40V or similar and NOT the 14.4V input would have saved the plethora of irrelevant replies.
(Maybe that was one week before soundnsecurity came on line LOL!)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic