camry 2007 ignition problem inspection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
legenux 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I installed the Audiovox remote starter APS901N in the 2007 Toyota Camry XLE a while ago and it works flawlessly. After a state inspection yesterday, car engine just died. It won't start with the key, and the windows and blower fans are not working when the key in final position turned as well. I tried using the remote start key fob and the engine starts up....blower works too and engine starts. As soon as I insert car key, step on brake, the blower fan stop working.
I looked at all fuse, seems to be all right. I just can't start the car with the key and brake is very hard, and well as steering wheel. Any idea what's wrong? Seems like no power with the key inserted. I'm thinking ignition is messed up but which area? Car is disabled, please help. Thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Check you have 12V+ at the ignition constant and then 12V+ on the ignition wires on turning the key to ignition.
You have a blown ignition feed fuse, probably either adjacent to the battery or in an engine bay fuse box.
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Most likely what howie said. Is your audiovox 12v supply connected somewhere other than the ignition harness? That would explain why the car only starts with the remote start.
Do check the fuses with a multi meter or a test light.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
It is a high current input into the ignition though so I would assume that the unit is getting it's power from the ignition switch feed. So my money is on a bad ignition switch. Test all of the switch outputs like howie suggested. Obviously, if you did get your power from a different source then it is most likely the main feed fuse.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
legenux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks all. You guys were right, it was a blown 7.5A fuse. It looks alright initially but when I buzz them out with a DMM, the 7.5A was dead. I changed with new one and it worked.
I'm just curious why this happened. I tap into TACH wire on the OBDII connector for the remote starter. I wonder this cause the problem when the inspection guy plug it in his machine for car inspection.
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
I doubt the tach wire would cause a problem. What exactly was the 7.5A fuse for?
legenux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I just went outside and check. Its label AM1 on that 7.5A. Ignition 1?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Check the remote start wiring.  Make sure that the Camrys' two Ignition wires ( Pink & Yellow ) are isolated and not joined to the same remote start Ignition Output wire.  Same goes for  vehicle's two  Starter wires ( Blue & Gray ).  They must be kept isolated and powered from the remote starter on separate circuits. 

Soldering is fun!
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I just did a 2007 Avalon and there was a small gauge 7.5amp 12v constant but the main input was 40amp if I remember correctly. I would make sure they didn't tie into the wrong power wire for the remote start.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Kreg and Kenny both hit the nail on the head. If you are grabbing power from the ignition switch make sure you are only grabbing power from the black 30 amp wire not the orange 7.5 amp wire. Also since there are 2 ignition wires and 2 starter wires, you cannot simply jump the 2 together simply because you don't have enough high current outputs on your remote starter. This will blow the AM1 fuse on Toyotas. I personally use ignition 1 & 2 and starter off the remote starter brain and then use a relay off the negative start wire to feed the power needed for the 2nd starter wire. On an Audiovox, the negative start wire is one of the black wires with a strip on that 4 pin harness. Its labeled as ground while cranking.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic