icon

custom neutral safety switch for remote s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elninoloco7 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
EDIT: I guess i can't post in the Pictorial Forums.
So i have an older Viper/Remote Start i installed a while back. The older Viper alarms/remote start don't have Manual Mode (a method that insures you don't tart your car in gear). If my car is in gear and remote start it'll drive itself miles away crashing into something. So I made a custom neutral safe so that'll break the ground to my Remote start preventing it to start in gear.
If you DO have a remote start that has Manual mode or want to get one, you'll see or already know that the steps in activating Remote Start is this:
These steps are:
1. Make sure the engine is running and the doors on the vehicle are
closed.
2. Put the transmission in neutral.
3. Press on the brake in the vehicle.
4. Apply the emergency brake.
5. Release the brake.
Note: Pressing the brake pedal again after this step will disable the
remote start feature.
6. Within 15 seconds activate the remote start from the remote.
7. The parking lights flash 5-times confirming that the remote start is
active. If the parking lights do not flash 5-times, then repeat steps
1 - 6.
8. Turn off the ignition remove key (the car stays running when key is turned off).
9. Exit Car
10. Arm the alarm (the vehicle should shut off when arming the system).
Now this is wouldn't be a problem for me as it only takes about 30 seconds to do, HOWEVER if I forget something in the car after doing these steps, i'll need to open a door, which in turn will deactivate the remote start which means i would have to redo the steps again. I mean, yes, it is super safe if you do it this way as there is no way you can start your car in gear (unless you leave the windows down and someone shifts into 1st gear as a sick joke).
But then again My Remote Start doesn't have a Manual Mode so i had no choice in the matter.
Basically what i did was i got a few Momentary Push Switch (Normally Closed). Momentary is a type of spring loaded switch that will temporary provide power (Normally Open) or temporary disrupt power (Normally Closed) to a circuit. I wired them to the to the "Neutral Safety Switch Input (-)" on the Remote Start brain. This wire is normally hooked on with an On/Off Switch that is provided by Viper so that you can manually turn the Remote Start feature on or off. The wire is Grounded, so when the Switch is OFF, it will disrupt the ground, the Remote Start brain will see that there is no ground so it will not start the car. I just tapped the Momentary Switches into this wire After the On/Off switch. Made a custom Bracket (look at End of video), and BAM, Neutral Safe
Anyways here is the video link demonstrating my Neutral Safe below.
Click Here for Neutral Safety Switch YouTube Video
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Some nice original thinking all though it's old school back in the early 90's installers were using Hall Effect switches to do the same, also most people wouldn't have your skill or ability to make that bracket around the E36 gear shift.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Howie ! I myself am suprised to see this post and video made it past the Mods?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2013 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
It's down to how well that bracket is made Gary.
Since I personally feel that giving some newbies a DMM or a Bitwriter is like giving a 4 year old a loaded assault rifle I'm reserving judgement!
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
What happens if you are in 2nd gear,4th gear,or reverse? If I'm looking at that correctly, neither of those gears will trip the switch. Even if I'm looking at it wrong, and the switches are closed when in neutral, then 1st, 3rd, and 5th won't trip it. Unless maybe i'm just looking at it completely wrong...
Also, I would find a better way to secure that bracket. If those zip ties ever came undone (dry rot and break, slip up off the base of the shifter, etc) your protection is gone.
What kind of car is it? Do you by chance have a factory nss that you could have used?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic