icon

bi wiring crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
starfox5194 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
I am having trouble understanding bi-wiring my crossovers.
The input and output each have:
WF + and -
TW + and -
Can I take my four channel amp and wire it up all four channels to the two crossovers?
I have another amp to power the speakers in the back, but then how would it get the signal from the RCAs if the first four channel amp is up the four RCAs?
I must have misunderstood something.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
What crossovers/speakers are you using?
Support the12volt.com
starfox5194 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
alpine spx-17pro
and here is alpine's link and their documentation. It doesn't say much about the bi-wiring except for removing fuses.
alpine hd138-bt head unit
alpine mrx-f65 4 channel amp.
starfox5194 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spx-17pro/default
starfox5194 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
In case anyone stumbles upon this post in the future, I've been doing some reading and discovered a lot about crossovers.
Basically passive crossovers are only good if you're on a budget or you are lazy. The better way to crossover your audio is to use an active crossover system.
Basically One can hook up the six outputs from your headunit to a digital sound processor or a crossover or some kind of combination unit.
This digital sound processor takes the signals and splits them up In a configurable way. The alpine PXA-H800 will split your audio up into 8 sperate channels that can then go to your amplifiers.
Why would one do this? Because if you split your audio signals up like this:
CH 1+2 Highs
CH 3+4 Mids in front
CH 5+6 Mids+Highs in back
CH 7+8 Subs for lows
The amplifier has to do less work.
The sub amp only has to amplify the signal that is below 80hz (or whatever you set the audio processor to send to it)
The 4 channel amp can have two channels dedicated to only amplify highs and the other two channels to only amplify mids.
Amplifying your audio like this requires less work by the amplifier because it is only amplifying about 1/3 of the whole spectrum instead of amplifying the whole spectrum and then leaving the passive crossovers to throw out all of that amplified signal that can't be played by the speakers any ways.
So, if you want to get the most out of your amplifiers, use a sound processor or a crossover to divide up the frequencies.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
starfox5194 wrote:
Basically passive crossovers are only good if you're on a budget or you are lazy. The better way to crossover your audio is to use an active crossover system.
I disagree completely with this statement and suggest whatever you've been reading is wrong.
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: March 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, do you understand how to use the Phase Link modules with your crossovers?
Second, if you are biamping this system you need to make sure the signal link is open.
Support the12volt.com
starfox5194 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure I understand how the phase link modules.
From what I've been reading, passive crossovers filter out the unwanted frequencies after amplification. Active filters them out before amplification. With active crossovers, the only thing being amplified is exactly the signal you want sent to the specific speaker.
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure the FMOD inline RCA is a passive crossover and it goes before the amp,
lazy? No !
Inexpensive? Yes !
Will it accomplish what I need? Yes !
At least I think so
2004 Hyundai Sonata
Kenwood KDC-X599 HU
2-Sundown X-18D4
2-SQ Q4500.1
2-SQ Q90.4
1-Massive DBX4
8-Niche 5.25 mids
8-Niche Tweeters