the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

extra speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
You are over complicating it.
image deleted by moderator
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
Always check the Hot Topics forum. If you want more midbass or midrange, look at these tips.
How To Get More Midbass
As far as the comments concerning typing in all caps, etc, please read the forum rules. We take these rules seriously, as this forum is a professional venue for installers and those trying to learn from them. The friendly warning you were given by another member was just that, friendly. :)
Thank you!
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, whoever drew that wiring onto the image above is really wrong, unless I'm misinterpreting it. NEVER connect one amp to another unless you want blown fuses and perhaps blown amps. What that diagram shows would short the outputs of one amp to the other and should never be done! That diagram is a real mess. I'm going to delete it so no one ever tries that.
Support the12volt.com
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
By the way, whoever drew that wiring onto the image above is really wrong, unless I'm misinterpreting it. NEVER connect one amp to another unless you want blown fuses and perhaps blown amps. What that diagram shows would short the outputs of one amp to the other and should never be done! That diagram is a real mess. I'm going to delete it so no one ever tries that.
You were to some degree...I was attempting to show a few different scenarios/options on one image. I didn't even think that it might be interpreted that all amps where being used at once. I'll clarify it and make it into multiple images instead of one. extra speakers - Page 2 -- posted image.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
DYohn 
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, well you really don't need to do that when we have pretty much all of the possible woofer wiring configuration options covered right here. https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
Support the12volt.com
z03mz03m 
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
DYhon, I have already provided feller21 with a link to the wiring calc and directions to the mid bass post. He said in his last post that the sub wiring calc was still confusing to him so I figured that I would use some pretty colors and pictures.
Feller21, if you wire the two 4ohm subs in parallel the resistance will be 2ohm just like you said. Think of the 2 subs as one system now. If they are both rated at 200watts RMS then connecting that sub system to a mono amplifier rated at 400watts RMS @ 2ohm will provide the system with the recommended power. If the subs are rated at 400watts RMS then the 400watt AMP will only be providing the system with half of the recommended power.
I did this on my Note 2 and The mobile site has been improved since the last time that I used it BTW. The scrolling bug is fixed and it works great now.
feller21 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the pretty colors and pictures and sorry I have caused such a raucous on your forum site. I'll simplify this as best I can. My audio guy said to me on the phone that 2 single 4 ohm subs wired to a 500 watt mono sub @2ohm stable will deliver 500 watts to each sub, I thought it was split down to 250 each. That is all I am confused about. I get the wiring parallel and series parallel I understand all that. I just want to make sure he is right. 2)same scenario with subs, if I have a mono amp that says 500 x 1 @4ohm, 700 x 1 @ 2ohm, and 1000 watts @1 ohm, do i have the option of using the 2 ohm load so 700 x my 2 subs or will I need to use the 4 ohm mode? If I could speak on phone with somebody I could sound a whole lot more informed than you guys seem to think I am so don't fight over me as if I am a 17 year old, I am a diabled Golf Course Superintendent so I am picking up the sarcasm and it isn't necessary over a question that is simple to you but not so much to me. Sorry!!
98' civic
Clarion DXZ945mp DECK
PPI 6X9
PPI 6.5 COMPS
Cadence 5.25's
RE XT 800.4 AMP
RE DTS 1500.1 AMP
Equake TNT 2000/1wd AMP
powerbass XAX 2150hd AMP
ALUMAPRO BP 10" SUB
PPI PC124 12" SUB
DYohn 
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp can only produce what it produces. If you connect two subs to it (with equal impedance from each sub) then the power will be split. So, if your amp produces 500 watts into 2 ohms, and you connect 2 x 4-ohm subs in parallel for a net 2-ohm load, then each sub will be able to use 250 watts. There is nothing magical about it. :)
Support the12volt.com
feller21 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Now that I understand the amplifier situation, I have a follow up question. My friend builds speaker pods and made me a set to put in my rear dash and I already had a set of 5.25" Auditor components for them. I have a 4 channel amp and all my speakers are 4 ohm, including the Auditor 5.25" speakers. My question on this is a little more straight forward than my last. If I add the new pods with the 5.25"s we will call them the Auditors for short. I have 6x9 in the rear locations off my 4 channel amp at 4 ohms, can i hook up the Auditors to the rear 2 channels which will drop the ohm load to 2 ohm? Will that work with 4 ohm speakers or will it fry them or screw up my amp. My plan was to just remove the 6x9's and put the Auditors in but if I can somehow keep the 6x9's hooked up maybe to just deck power and amplify the Auditors or can I hook both sets up to the amp bringing it to 2 ohms or will that not work well and damage something? Pretty easy question to you experts and if I have to use just deck power that is fine too but curious what 2 ohm load will do to 4 speakers off 2 4ohm channels?? Thank You
98' civic
Clarion DXZ945mp DECK
PPI 6X9
PPI 6.5 COMPS
Cadence 5.25's
RE XT 800.4 AMP
RE DTS 1500.1 AMP
Equake TNT 2000/1wd AMP
powerbass XAX 2150hd AMP
ALUMAPRO BP 10" SUB
PPI PC124 12" SUB
z03mz03m 
Posted: April 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  

z03mz03m wrote:
If your current speakers(and the new ones) are 4 ohms you could just hook the 3rd set of speakers up to the same 4 ch amp you have in parallel to either the front left and right or rear left and right, which would decrease the load to the amplifier to 2 ohms increasing the amount of power it puts out.
extra speakers - Page 2 -- posted image. 

Sooo...

can i hook up the Auditors to the rear 2 channels which will drop the ohm load to 2 ohm?  Yes

Will that work with 4 ohm speakers Yes or will it fry them or screw up my amp. No

keep the 6x9's hooked up maybe to just deck power and amplify the Auditors or can I hook both sets up to the amp bringing it to 2 ohms  Yes or Yes

will that not work well and damage something? No

curious what 2 ohm load will do to 4 speakers off 2 4ohm channels?? This makes no sense 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic