icon

automate am5 to am6

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shhnappa 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all, long time member, I'm a electrician, and an A Technician at a GM dealer and have a question. I recently inherited a 2005 Toyota Camry base, base model from a recently deceased Brother-in-law. The car has an Automate AM5 system installed and working fine. It is nothing more than a starter disable and keyless entry. I would like to add a remote start to this and was told I could from tech support at DEI, but they would not give me any other info. I have access to a recently removed fully functioning Automate AM6 system which has remote start and the same existing features as my AM5 system. Can you tell me if this can be retrofitted, is it as simple as wiring up the remote module? Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!
shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone???
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
pretty much yes. You will need an extra relay for the second starter as i don't think the AM6 has a flex relay. I believe that only the V6 Camry that year had an immobilizer so you should be ok there. You can be sure by looking next to the climate controls for a red security light that would blink when the key is off. If it doesn't exist you are good to go...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

Mike,

Thank you so much, anyone else want to throw there years of knowledge in here?

shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Bump...
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2013 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Your main harness, antenna, door lock harness should plug right in. There will also be a 5 pin harness with the am-6 with brake, tach, hoodpin, neutral safety, and gwr. Brake must go to +brake in the car( GREEN / WHITE sw or bottom of fusebox, 20 pin plug , tach to the tach wire (BLACK/ orange ECM behind glovebox), Neutral safety to ground. Lastly you will need to wire up the relay pack to the ignition in the car. As posted above, a relay for the second starter should be wired up.
shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2013 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

beegbie wrote:
Your main harness, antenna, door lock harness should plug right in. There will also be a 5 pin harness with the am-6 with brake, tach, hoodpin, neutral safety, and gwr. Brake must go to +brake in the car( GREEN / WHITE sw or bottom of fusebox, 20 pin plug , tach to the tach wire (BLACK/ orange ECM behind glovebox), Neutral safety to ground. Lastly you will need to wire up the relay pack to the ignition in the car. As posted above, a relay for the second starter should be wired up.

Beegbie,

Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated. I wanted to know if you could go into a little more detail as to the relay, I'm assuming you ,mean to wire it to Starter # 2. Also, what is "gwr" you mention earlier. Finally, just to recap, I should be able to swap out the module with all existing wiring to stay as is and just wire up those 5 items you mention. Thanks again for your help.

shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2013 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I have one last question that hopefully someone can answer for me as it pertains to wiring up the relay for the 2nd Starter. If someone could let me know what wires should go to the following pins that would be great.

30-

85-

86-

87 -

87a-

One of the diagrams I found on here states the following:

30 - 2nd Start wire (I assume only hot when in crank mode but different wire than Primary Start wire?)

85 - Primary Start wire (I assume that is only hot when in crank mode?)

86 - Ground when running (don't know which wire that is on a 2005 base Camry)

87 - +12 Volt Constant

87a - Not Used???

Thanks in advance for all your help.

shhnappa 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2013 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

Well, after pulling the AM5 module out and plugging the the AM6 module, the locks worked, no horn confirm and looking at both module pin-outs, they are not wired the same way, it looks like it would be easier to rip the whole AM5 out and start from scratch which was not what I really wanted to do. Any additional thoughts before I button her up back the way she was? Also, if there is anyone locally (Long Island) that would like to take a look for some bucks, you're more than welcome. Let me here your thoughts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic