the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

fiberglass layering procedure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2013 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
one question, very simple, how is the best way to layer fiberglass together? is it better to do each layer while the last layer is still tacky or is it better to have each layer cure and then add the next layer? or does it really matter that much?
the reason i ask is because i need to know if i need to set aside enough time to completely layer a box all at once or if i can do what i have time to do and come back to the project and add layers later on. thanks in advance for anyone with some advice on the matter
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2013 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
ok so after some research, i am getting that its better to add layers as the last layer is mostly dry but still tacky on the outside, roughly an hour or so after you start the layer. so my next question is related to strength. im going to use a combination of 8.8oz fiberglass and kevlar, 6 layers of alternating material and alternating fabric direction. might be able to squeeze another layer or two in some spots but do you guys think it will be strong enough, along with some MDF reinforcement, to support the weight of a 70 pound sub woofer and the pressure it will make.
the bottom and the back will be all MDF but most of the rest will be a composite material. the largest piece will be about 18" X 25" curved, not flat. im thinking it will be enough and im hoping it will be overkill i just dont have the experience to really know for sure.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

I think you'll be fine. When I glassed the box for my Mazda the peice i molded to the side of the trunk was 3 layers of 2oz chop mat strips 6oz total. it was really strong and had very little flex by itself. When the rest of the sides where added there was 0 flex. If you're adding 2.8oz more than i did to the 18x25 section that is curved and you're adding bracing to it...should be good.

Is this for the RE 18? and will the sub be mounted to the glassed panel?

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
soundnsecurity 
Posted: April 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
no this will be for a 12" XXX. so the box will automatically have to hold about 70 pounds constantly just for the weight of the sub woofer, by comparison, my 18SX only weight about 30 pounds. the sub will be mounted to an MDF ring that is two layers of 3/4 and another layer for a flush mount effect. the ring will also be glassed by itself first and then mounted to the box so that the ring itself is super strong. i think i've thought this through pretty well considering this will be my first big fiberglass project that actually needs to be as strong as possible. everything else i've made didn't need to be strong like tweeter pods and small cover panels more for show than strength.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic