icon

Optima Battery for my Acura RSX?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bluersx510 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

I saw at Costco today that they have a blue one as well..

But I hear the yellow is the best, right? So only go w/ the yellow?
Also, the regular optima batteries are HUGE.. so will this fit in my acura? However, I was able to find the model # SC51RA for Honda/Acura .. so is this the right one to use?
Also, if I plan on running the Optima.. should I also change out the stock battery w/ the Optima as well? So I need to buy 2 Optima yellow tops? And if I do that.. when I run the pos/negative from the front to the back for the Optima battery - will I need to use 0/1 if I am going to be using 0/1 from the back battery to the amps?
I have the two amps: JL 300/4 and JL 1000/1.
Thanks!!

.. here is additional information for this battery:

SC51RA
500 Minimum Cold Crank Amps
625 Cranking Amps
Reserve capcity 70 minutes @ 25
27.6 #
9.205" long
4.989" wide
8.937" height
My main concern tho is that if I have 4 ga power from the main battery to the 2nd (in the trunk), then is it ok to draw a 0/1 from the back one directly to the amps? Or would it be better to do 2 4 GA's from the battery to the amps? Thoughts? thanks..

IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Red Tops are for under the hood.  Yellow tops used under the hood will not be covered under warranty. 

-Cy

50farad 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Remember bluer, multiple batteries are ONLY useful if you are planning to listen to your system with the engine off.  Otherwise, when your engine is running, your battery(s) become loads to your electrical system.  In other words, when your engine is running, having more than one battery will mean less power, not more.  This seems to be a widely held misconception.   I have three amps in my system (2 RF Power 360 and a SS Ref. 700sx) that are all bridged to mono, that's about 1300 watts RMS and I have one Optima yellow top that does a great job.  Even with one yellow top, I can listen to my system cranked with the engine off for about an hour (and I mean CRANKED).  You didn't mention it, but if you do not have any caps (or less than one farad worth) that would be were I would spend my money.  Oh, and the Yellow top Optima is DEFINATLEY the way to go (versus the red-top) as it is a deep cycle battery (can be discharged and recharged over and over).  This is perfect for our type of application.  And the yellow top is a great starter battery as well.

50Farad

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I use a Red Top under my hood and I love it. Optima describes the yellow top as an accessory battery, but I've seen the yellow top used as a starter and the red top used as an accessory. Whichever battery you get, it will provide excellent performance. They are definitely worth the investment. If you want added security though, grab a 1 farad cap too.
Cary
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Caps are the last thing I would buy. The money would be best spent on a high output alternator and some factory power wiring upgrades. For some reason everyone seems to skip the HO alternator when it should be one of the first things you do. That way you will have plenty of power available and you can go from there.
50farad 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I have to agree that a high output alternator is THE very best investment you can make for a high power system
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
LOL...I almost need to have my cap rant on a script...
basically, if you really want to read up on caps, use the search function and look for posts that I have made on caps...they arent a wise investment if you want to be loud...
anyways, more on topic...as opposed to buying Optimas, look at Stinger batteries or Hawker Odyssey (the actual manufacturer of Stinger batteries...the SP series are the same aside from cosmetics...) they have better life expectancy and lower esr values...(ESR relates to how fast the battery can supply the power needed, which affects how your system will sound...) and I feel them to be a superior battery overall...
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
battcap also makes a very good batt 800cca and a very fast esr. stinger is also a very, very good batt. caps are fine but the alt is the heart of the elc system start there 1st. I think Big Purds has a link to a good alt company.
Big Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic