icon

g37 2010 viper 5904 and db all weird

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Artstar 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  
That's definitely "weird" and not "wired". I've recently connected my 5904 and DB-ALL (running the NISS3HT v1.13 firmware) in a Japanese model G37, known as a 2009 model Nissan V36 Skyline.
The connections I have used from my 5904 are as follows:
H1 Harness:
Red: Battery
Black: Ground
Brown: Siren
H2 Harness:
BLACK/ White - Neutral Safety Input: Ground
RED / White - Trunk Release: BCM (black 40-pin connector) - pin 67 in FSM
BROWN / Black - Horn Output: Possible future use, haven't really justified rigging up the horn as well as the siren
WHITE/ Blue - Remote Start input: Ground
H3 Harness:
Pink - Ignition 1 In/Out: DB-ALL PURPLE / Green + PURPLE / Brown
Violet - Starter Output: Brake pedal (stop light side)
RED / Black - Accessory/Starter relay input: Battery
Door lock connector:
Unfortunately, pins 16 and 37 as indicated in the DB-ALL installation manual do not work on my Siemens VDO BCM. Though it looks identical to the US model, it doesn't appear to offer the same functionality overall. Whether or not this is related to the lack of an OEM alarm system (my keyfob only has door lock, unlock and trunk release buttons), I'm not sure.
As such, wires will have to go to a custom made dual DPDT relay unit which will intercept the driver's door lock motor. Ideally, it would be nice to intercept the lock/unlock switch on the driver's power window controller module but that would mean having to pass wires through the door connectors between the main body and the door. Not really an elegant wiring job.
DB-ALL feature programming is as follows:
1) No RF output
2) Controlled door lock - brake (tried disabled as well)
3) Smart OEM Alarm Control - disabled
4) Parking Light Control on Data - enabled
5) OEM Security Disarm on Data - disabled
6) Door Lock Control on Data - disabled (neither European nor North American options seem to work on my vehicle)
Remote starting works reasonably well. Programming the DB-ALL was a breeze as per the instructions. The OEM keyfob arms and disarms the Viper 5904 accordingly.
However, three odd things occur.
1) The Viper 5904 reports "Disarm" on the remote despite the fact I have not got OEM alarm control programmed into neither the DB-ALL nor the Viper 5904.
2) I can't seem to keep the vehicle running after the remote start has been sequenced. The DB-ALL manual suggests it just needs the alarm to be disarmed, enter the vehicle with the OEM keyfob and away we go. The moment I touch the footbrake, however, it shuts down.
3) When the remote start sequence deactivates, be it via the remote control or the unfortunate disabling via the footbrake pedal, the windows make that momentary movement down and back up again as though the doors were opened and closed quickly.
Has anyone else experienced these phenomena? Is there a particular connection that I've left out from either the Viper 5904 or that's in addition to the installation diagram (D2D - Automatic) in the DB-ALL manual?
All help appreciated. Thanks guys!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Get rid of the DB-All or make it W2W.
Then wire your locks directly from the 5902.
H2 WHITE/ blue, disconnect.
Hardwire your tach and use and learn tach sensing.
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
Can't get rid of it since I still need some kind of immobiliser bypass unit, unless your experience dictates I should be looking to another brand of bypass unit?
The door locks will be wired directly from my 5904. There's no other option there. Clearly the DB-ALL doesn't support it over the CAN bus and the installation diagram does indicate the need to wire the two empty pins in the BCM green connector to the 5904 anyway. Only problem is, I don't think my Japanese BCM is the same in function as the North American and European BCMs, hence why those two pins are unusable and why I'm going to make my dual-DPDT relay interface to work with the 5904's lock/unlock outputs instead.
The WHITE/ Blue, after looking up a 5702 manual actually indicates the functionality of this wire so knowing that it's for a manual pushbutton switch to engage the remote starter, I'm definitely taking that out of the loom despite its harmless behaviour as it stands.
I was hoping for a clean install with the D2D setup but if it ultimately has to be W2W, I guess I'll have no other option.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, not thinking this through, you're probably quite right in your comments, did a 370Z recently, UK spec and it was COMPLETELY different , different engine management, different smart junction box under hood and completely different BCM.
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
wizes me off though. One would think, from a manufacturing perspective, that it would be cheaper to use the same bits and pieces in all regions for the same vehicle.
Why the fudge they have to change pinouts between regions or, as in this case, change the functionality of a BCM which is for all intents and purposes identical to its international counterparts is mind boggling to say the least.
My only guess is that it may be to protect their respective local supply channels so that we can't use spare parts from overseas suppliers at lower cost, etc. It's much the same that I can't just plug in an AV system with English language functionality. Instead, I'm living with the Japanese menus now that I've memorised them and I keep telling myself it gives the car a little character to separate it from the G37's that Nissan have finally introduced into Australia as of late last year. :)
Anyway, I'm sure my perseverance will pay off. I've got a CAN bus logic analyser so if need be, I'll see if I can do some homework, find the lock/unlock packets and pass the info on to DEI to see if they can somehow add that in to their DB-ALL firmware for me. The less wire-hacking I have to do, the happier I am.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Same position in car the US engine management has 4 rows of pins, the UK 3!!!
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2013 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Cheeky buggers.
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thought I'd give an update. I still haven't heard back from XpressKit's technical support crew, which is disappointing. I guess they don't want to know about anyone who isn't an authorised DEI installer.
To circumvent the disarm during remote start up, I reconnected my DB-All to my XKLoader2 and disabled the DL-Panic and OEM Security Disarm features since the JDM vehicles have neither owing to a lack of an OEM alarm.
The only remaining issue is the Get in and Go functionality. It still won't see my OEM key upon entering the vehicle so the only thing I can do is let the Viper/XpressKit set up kill the ignition and start it manually from there on in.
It's as though the DB-All isn't responding to the data output of the immobiliser despite it being able to read that same output during the programming phase.
I must admit, I'm half-tempted to consider an iDatalink but I fear the end result will be the same.
As for the door locks, I've got a PCB being fabricated as we speak for my 3 relay design. It involves the use of 2 x DPDT relays as well as 1 x 4PDT relay (all Panasonic NC-series flat relays) which serves to ensure the BCM is isolated when either of the other two relays are needed to actuate the door lock, thereby avoiding short circuits. As for intercepting the wiring, thankfully, I bought a set of illuminated Infiniti kickplates from the US and they actually have a male and female connector to interface with the existing connector going into the BCM. That makes me very happy because the less hacking I have to do to a wiring harness, the less that can be compromised.
The module itself will be about 2" x 2.5" in size, making it nice and compact with external fuses to protect the BCM as a final precautionary measure.
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
It's been a while but here's the final outcome (and it's not a good one).
My relay board has resolved the issue of controlling the door locks from the Viper without losing the ability to also control them from the BCM as standard. Thankfully, it all JUST fits behind the kick panel given the bulk added by the T-harness from the illuminated Infiniti kickplates takes up most of the room with their fat wiring.
After testing the door locks, I've come to find the following:
1) Vehicle remote starts fine, Viper reports "Disarm" on the remote but does not alter the state of the door locks. In other words, if the doors are already locked, they remain so and likewise if they're already unlocked.
2) Viper then reports "Armed" on the remote but again, no change to the door locks.
3) Upon entering the vehicle as per the DB-ALL's instructions for the Get in and Go functionality, the moment I touch the foot brake, the remote start is deactivated and the vehicle stops running. I then have to manually start the vehicle. This is something I have to live with, it seems. After discussing the problem with DEI's technical phone support staff last night, they tried their best to analyse what was going on as their belief was that it should just work. We both agreed, on my suggestion, that this must be a quirk of the BCM and perhaps even the ECU in these JDM vehicles, highlighted by the fact the lock/unlock pins on the USDM vehicles' BCM don't seem to exist/function on the JDM BCU.
4) I found that the remote start was intermittent after having successfully used it for over a fortnight now. What I came to discover was that in my laziness and not setting up any Engine Checking Mode (left it off with cranking time set to the maximum 4.0 seconds), the brake switch was only actuating for about 2 seconds sometimes and therefore not in time for the DB-ALL to do its thing, leaving my vehicle with the ignition on but not started and all the while, the Viper thinking everything was running just fine. I pulled my finger (and Bitwriter) out, set up Engine Checking Mode to Tachometer, started the vehicle manually and programmed the tach speed while the vehicle was idling. We'll see if that's resolved the issue as I'm confident it should now hang onto the brake switch signal until it's at least cranking. Serves me right for being lazy!
So with all that said, I basically just have to live with a vehicle that needs to be restarted every time I hop in. In the grand scheme of things, though it means I'm doubling the use of my starter motor, at least the engine is warmed up and the cabin temp is where it should be by the time I hop into it. Have to take the good with the bad on this one, which is a shame but it's better than not having it at all.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't read through everything, but after getting in, have you tried pressing the start button twice to activate the ignition before stepping on the brake? That's how it is on some PTS vehicles so I figured it's worth a shot. Sorry if it was already asked.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic