icon

2011 prius dball, eips and pit stop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thecritic 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2013 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Prius (not plug-in hybrid)

System: N/A, Remote-start Ready (RSR) configuration; firmware is 401.TL2 v2.31

Bypass Module: DB-ALL, v7.0

Additional parts used: TLTH2 T-Harness (handles can hi/low, 12v and ground connection via OBD-II port)

Connections made:

Wire-on-dball/wire-on-vehicle:

1) RX: yellow-BLACK/ violet, pin 4

2) TX: orange-BLACK/ green, pin 16

3) Parking lights: red-BLACK / YELLOW, pin 30

4) Push-to-start Output: green-BLACK/ black, pin 7

Hey guys,

I am a DIYer here who just completed his first install. The installation appears to be successful and everything works as expected so far. However, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me.

1) The install guide for the "RSR installation" mentions that you need to hook-up the BLACK/ white EIPS fail-output wire to pin 8 on the vehicle's horn connector (under the steering column). Guides from idatalink and fortin do not mention this connection being needed for EIPS or pit-stop mode, so I was wondering if anyone can comment on the necessity of this connection.

I already have the push-to-start output wire hooked-up, but I have not been able to verify pit-stop mode functionality since I am using the OEM remote (which does not support pit-stop mode); my Viper 9752vl kit should be arriving next week so I will test it then.

2) I was wondering how I can verify proper EIPS functionality. As mentioned above, my Viper Remotes have not arrived, but I was wondering if there was a way that I could confirm proper EIPS fucntionality with the factory remote.

3) I may want to go back and make my install a bit neater. This may require me to unplug the connectors from the DB-ALL to do some taping and re-routing. Upon reconnecting the connectors, will I need to go thru the programming sequence again for the DB-ALL?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2013 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I've done many, many Prii (is that how you pluralize it?) with FLCAN and remote starter, and FLCAN as a standalone off factory remotes, but I haven't used the DB-ALL on a Prius yet.
That being said, I think I can still answer your questions.
1: EIPS is a Directed Electronics (Xpresskit) exclusive feature; iDatalink and Fortin don't have it. So that's why they don't have you connect anything to the horn. See more details below.
2: EIPS is a nice feature, but not well promoted or documented. I just searched Xpresskit's site, and even using their search feature you can't find anything.
Anyway, you may (or may not) have heard of many cases of drivers parking their push-to-start cars, forgetting to turn of the ignition, and exiting the car. Car stays on until it runs out of gas.
If this happens on the street, you may wake up to find your car missing. If this happens in a garage, you may wake up in the afterlife.
Anyway, EIPS is supposed to use the horn to remind you what you've done, and use the push-to-start wire at the pushbutton to shut the car down if you don't respond.
Since there's no documentation, it's anyone's guess as to how it will work. I do remember about it at a training seminar, though.
So to test it, do this:
A: Drive car.
B: Park car.
C: Don't shut the car off. Instead, intentionally "forget" to shut the car off. Leave it on, exit the car (carrying the Toyota Smart Key with you).
D: Shut car door, step away from car.
E: Sit in a lawn chair with a sandwich or a drink, and see what the car does.
My guess is it's going to beep the horn to alert you to what you've done, and then if you still fail to go back and shut the car off, EIPS will shut it off for you. It may lock the door too; I wouldn't be surprised.
I would leave a window on the car open during testing, in case you get mixed up, leave the key inside, and the EIPS somehow locks the car.
Also, I think EIPS may be off in the DB-ALL by default; you may have to program it on. I'm not sure.
3: Shouldn't be any problem, just be sure to NOT touch or hold the DB-ALL's programming button. Simply unplug all connectors, do whatever else you need to do, plug them all back in, and test to make sure.
thecritic 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2013 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
So to test it, do this:
A: Drive car.
B: Park car.
C: Don't shut the car off. Instead, intentionally "forget" to shut the car off. Leave it on, exit the car (carrying the Toyota Smart Key with you).
D: Shut car door, step away from car.
E: Sit in a lawn chair with a sandwich or a drink, and see what the car does.
My guess is it's going to beep the horn to alert you to what you've done, and then if you still fail to go back and shut the car off, EIPS will shut it off for you. It may lock the door too; I wouldn't be surprised.
I would leave a window on the car open during testing, in case you get mixed up, leave the key inside, and the EIPS somehow locks the car.
Also, I think EIPS may be off in the DB-ALL by default; you may have to program it on. I'm not sure.
I gave this a try today and the car did not shut off after the 5 minutes (I changed the setting from the default 3 minutes to 5 minutes when I flashed the DB-ALL). So, I must either have a problem with the push-to-start connection, or the EIPS fail output wire must also be connected for the EIPS to work.
When I pull it back apart next week to install the antenna and XL202, I'll connect the EIPS fail output wire, retest and report back.
Thanks for all of the help.
thecritic 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2013 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, here is an update. Couple things.
1) I connected the EIPS fail-output wire to the appropriate wire on the horn connector, but was unable to get the car to shut off after the pre-programmed 5 min. However, since this is a hybrid, the engine was never running during this time...so I wonder if this had something to do with it? I would have expected EIPS to shut-down the vehicle entirely. Since it is not an important feature to me, I will not spend too much time on it - but any ideas would be appreciated.
2) I installed my remote kit and was able to verify proper operation of the pit-stop mode. However, I was wondering what security features are in place for pit-stop mode. If I put the car into pit-stop mode, after unlocking the doors, I can drive away without the key (this car is push-to-start). Is this normal?
3) The range on the Viper 7752v remote seems to be about 500 ft. I tested this by parking the car in a parking lot and walking inside a Fry's Electronics and confirming that the remote-start worked until I was almost to the back of the store. The antenna is placed in the dot-matrix area of the windshield. I suspect that this range is about normal...but if anyone can confirm, that would be great.
Thanks in advance!
mduong25 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Did you have to wire the gray/black ignition status output wire from the dball to the ignition output wire of the remote start on your viper 9752? also, does your engine shutdown upon start if you open the door because there is no take over option?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic