door trigger viper 5204 in 98 accord

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meowstopher 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I'm a long time creeper of these forums, but now I have a question I could use some help with.
I'm installing a Viper 5204 in a 1998 Honda Accord. I've done a number of alarm/remote start systems before, but I'm running into a problem I could use some help with.
I found (and tested/confirmed) the door trigger wire in the passenger fuse panel (tests +12V with a door open and ground with doors closed) and hooked up the (-) door trigger input from the alarm. When I arm the alarm, I get the door open warning chirp, regardless if the doors are open or closed. Curious, I disconnected the wire and put the door trigger input wire directly to ground. Armed and still got the door open chirp. Connected to +12V. Armed and still got the door open chirp.
Afraid the brain was broken, I tried one last thing; I armed the system (got the warning chirp as usual), then put the input wire to ground - and sure enough, the alarm went off. Curious, I tried it with the violet (+) door trigger input wire as well - it set the alarm off when connected to +12V. Whatever either wire is attached to, however (12V, ground, or nothing), I still keep getting the door open warning chirp. It's as if the alarm can tell when a door is opened, but not closed. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

Here is some info from Audiovox :

All Door Trigger     BLACK/ WHITE  (-)      @ PASSENGER SIDE FUSE BOX, Green 4 pin plug

Test it first with your DMM.  Set to 20V DC, Red lead to +12V constant and Black lead to the

above wire.  The DMM should go to +12V when any door is opened.  Connect this wire to
the Viper's (-) Door Trigger Input wire.

I  believe this is the Dome Light wire so there could be some issues with dome light delay

when arming the Viper.

Soldering is fun!
meowstopher 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response. I've confirmed the wire you mentioned is the one I've tapped, and my DMM reads as you say.
Is there any reason why the alarm would think a door is open even when it's receiving ground?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

The Accord's BLACK/ White wire should be an open ( or float ) when the door is closed

and then go to a solid ground when the door is open.  The Viper is looking for a solid
ground input to signal it that a door is open.  You proved the Viper is working OK by
disconnecting it's (-) door trigger input wire, setting the alarm and then triggering  the
alarm by touching that wire to chassis ground.   Not sure why it's not working properly
when using the Accords wire. 

Maybe 15 year old door pins? 

Soldering is fun!
meowstopher 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, maybe my original post wasn't terribly clear. The car's wire (and all associated pins) are testing fine.
The problem appears to be in the alarm itself. For testing purposes, I have armed the system with the green H2/6 negative door trigger input wire connected to direct ground, to constant +12V, and left it hanging open. In all cases, the alarm reports a door is open, however the alarm triggers if I touch the wire to ground after arming the system.
kreg357 
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the confusion.  Think I'm following now.

Does sound like the Viper but Viper is not my usual brand.  Are the other trigger inputs connected and working OK?  Hood & Trunk?  And you are using only the (-) Door Trigger, correct?

Soldering is fun!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
The right wire will read 12V when the door is closed. When the door is opened, it will then show ground.
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
how is the hood trigger wire connected? try disconnecting all the trigger wire and leave them open, now arm the system to see if you still get the open door warning. if not, connect each wire one at a time to see which causes the problem.
you can also test the wires with a meter at the 5204 plug to see if the ground triggers are seeing ground and if the positive triggers are seeing positive when the they should not.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Quote: "I found (and tested/confirmed) the door trigger wire in the passenger fuse panel (tests +12V with a door open and ground with doors closed"
The above statement is the wrong way round.
As Mr. I stated, "The right wire will read 12V when the door is closed. When the door is opened, it will then show ground".
1) Menu 2 Feature 4, turn off.
2) Check the dome, see what happens when you alternatively close the door, then lock it.
Follow 91stt's advice.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic