icon

unknown wires in chinese dvd harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
charlieworton 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hi - I'm installing a Chinese made DVD/GPS system in a 2009 Honda Civic. I'm finding this to be a difficult task, partly due to my lack of knowledge and partly due to the abysmal 'instructions' included with the unit.
Here is the link to the manufacturers web site, showing the model I purchased:
http://www.roadnav.com.cn/show_content.php?id=67
(I've tried to upload an image of the back of the head unit. It might appear at the bottom of this post.)
There are 4 wires coming off the harness that I'm unsure about. The first is a solid orange wire labelled AMP-C. Web research led me to a wiring diagram that called it an Amp Control. I don't have an external amp; just the amp that is integral to the unit, and standard factory speakers. I'm guessing I don't need it, but I wish I knew what it was.
The second is a blue wire, labelled ANT-C. The same wiring diagram identified it an Antenna Control. I have the standard Honda factory radio antenna. I have no idea what this is intended to do, or if I need it.
The third is also a blue wire labelled BACK. The web wiring diagram identifies this as back detection. I'm guessing that this is intended to switch the 8" display to display a backup camera signal, but I have no clue what to connect it to. The head unit has a separate connector for a backup camera, which provides a 12V power source and a yellow RCA plug for the video signal. That part I can handle; I just don't know what to do about the 'back detection' wire.
The fourth wire is a blue wire with a white stripe labelled BRAKE. The web wiring diagram identifies this as brake detection. I'm guessing that this has to be connected to the hand brake in some fashion, in order to convince the unit that the vehicle is stationary so that DVD signals can be played. Any thoughts on whether the unit is looking for a ground connection, or 12 volts... or what? (Clues: The troubleshooting section of the manual contains the following statement. Phenomena: No image: PIC OFF is shown. Cause: you fail to connected the manual brake wires or fail to turn on the manual brake. Solutions: connect the manual brake wire and when turn on the manual brake.)
I'd sure appreciate any clarity that other members might be able to provide.
Thanks!
unknown wires in chinese dvd harness -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I am not real confident in the colors you have posted. Industry standard states Blue/White is amplifier turn on. You have Blue/White listed for another purpose.   But it is Chinese, you may do some more research to make sure you have the colors correct.
Amp control = amplifier remote turn on. Connect this wire to the remote connection of your amplifier(s)
Ant Control = the wire that would raise and lower your antenna if it was of the powered type. If your antenna adapter has a blue wire on it, connect it to that wire. Or if your antenna raises and lowers, connect that wire to the blue wire of your vehicle wiring harness.
BACK = 12 volts from your reverse lamps. This will switch to the back up camera input on the back of the deck. If you have a reverse camera installed, you need to power the camera and this wire with 12v from the back up lamps. No camera = no connection.
Brake = the single wire at the switch mounted to the pivot point of your parking brake pedal or lever.
charlieworton 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, thanks for your response. I actually was looking at the harness when I was describing the colors, so I'm pretty sure the colors are accurate. Of course, what I call blue, someone else might call navy; what I call white, someone else might call light gray. And, as you say, it is Chinese. Different, or no, standards may apply.
Regarding the brake sensor wire: when the parking brake is engaged, do you know if 12 volts flows through the switch? Or does applying the parking brake connect the switch to ground?
Regarding the backup camera sensor wire: OK, so I need to connect this sensor wire to the backup lights power in the trunk of the Honda Civic. I wonder if I could tap in to the backup light circuit somewhere under the dash, or the fusebox... but it might be simpler to just run the extra wire to the rear. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
The Chinese market is puzzling. My unit is (supposedly) made by a company called Winca... but there is an identical unit, with an identical model number, supposedly made by another company called Witson. All the information on the two websites about this unit is identical, right down to the typographical errors in the manuals. Yet, both companies claim to manufacture their own products, and publish pictures of their factories. I struggle to believe that these two companies really do produce independent, yet utterly identical, units. It makes me wonder who is really making these units.
Hey, thanks for your help. I appreciate it!
Charlie
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
You can find the reverse lamp wire in the loom in the front of the car. But, you do have to run the video cable from the camera to the deck. So instead of spending ANY time at all trying to find it in the front, just run a wire with the video cable.
The parking brake circuit applies ground to that wire when the parking brake is depressed or lifted.
charlieworton 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
That's perfect! Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot!
>Charlie
charlieworton 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Just an update on the 'unknown wires' deal...
I got the Honda radio out this evening, and discovered that the antenna lead was not the standard, tubular OEM connector I've known all my life. Instead, it was a grey plastic thingie. I found an adapter (Motorola male to OEM female) locally ($30!!!) and connected the tubular OEM connector; there was also a blue wire coming out of the adapter which I didn't know what to do with, so I left it unconnected. FM worked fine, but AM sounded like I was 200 miles away. Further research (crutchfield) indicates that the blue wire needs to be connected to the power antenna wire.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/120/12040HD10.PDF
So, tomorrow I'll give that a shot. I have no idea what's going on; some relatively uninformed sources are vaguely claiming that the Honda Civic uses an amplified antenna, and I don't know whether to believe them or not.
I guess if there's a brilliant blue white flash and my hands come out as bloody, smoking stumps... well, it must have been a bad idea.
Sigh. Take care, all - Charlie
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
if anything the blue wire from the antenna should also go to the blue ANT-C wire from the radio.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Ant Control = the wire that would raise and lower your antenna if it was of the powered type. If your antenna adapter has a blue wire on it, connect it to that wire. Or if your antenna raises and lowers, connect that wire to the blue wire of your vehicle wiring harness.
charlieworton 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks to everyone that helped. I've connected the blue wire from the Motorola antenna connector to the blue ANT-C wire from the head unit, and it definitely helped. However, AM reception is still poor; there are 6 local stations in my area, and the auto tune finds 4 of them. Worse, this Chinese unit doesn't *really* have any way to manually tune a frequency; you just stab at the touch screen with your finger, and see if you get lucky.
Ah, well. Progress, of a sort, is being made. Thanks again, all.
>Charlie

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic