icon

wire deck to amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
98sierra 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Panasonic deck in my truck, and have (2) RCA connections in the back. One is for the Auxilary in, and the other the SW out (sub woofer out). I have my speaker wires from the amp wired to the speaker wires of the truck, but am not getting any sound out of those speakers. I know the deck has to communicate with the amp, so how do I hook the deck up to the amp? I plan on installing a sub woofer at a later point, but does the SW out RCA connections get hooked up to the amplifier, and do those lines act as communication for both the sub and the speakers?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
The amp does need signal in order to play. On the RCA connections behind the radio, what color are they? If they are red and white, there is a chance you can use them. If they are subwoofer only they will be crossed over and you will only get bass to the amp. Connect them and see what it sounds like. Also look through the radio menu to see if it is changeable to Rear out instead of subwoofer.
If no luck, you may have to purchase a Line Out Converter and wire it up to your deck's speaker wiring.
98sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
The connections in the back are red and white. The lines are labeled SW Out (i think that stands for Sub Woofer out?).
98sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so the SW out is for the subwoofer, but I did find the RCA connections for the amplifier. I plugged those in and got sound, but I am not sure if it is correct as the sound doesn't seem different? The deck is wired to the trucks wires for the speakers, and the wires from the amp to each speaker is wired to the appropriate connection behind the deck (so I have three wires wired together, for example Front Left + from deck with Front Left + on truck and associated Channel + from amp). Would that be correct, or would I not connect the Front Left + wire from the deck?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
STOP Do not turn it on. You need to disconnect the radio's speaker wires. The wires from the amp are the only wires that should be connected to the speakers.
98sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
the wires from the radio are disconnected, but I do not get any sound out of the two speakers. It might be repetitive, but here is how it should be hooked up?
- I have the RCA connections from the back of the radio hooked up to the amplifier.
- From there, I run the speaker wires from the amp to the back of the radio, and only connect the wires that run from the speakers with the amp wires? If that's the case, I don't get any sound from the speakers I am trying to hook up. This is where I am stuck, because I would think that should work?
Thanks for your help.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a power light on the amplifier? Is there a protection light on the amp? Which of the 2 are lit up?
98sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
power light is on, protection light is not.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 03, 2013 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Connect a known good speaker to the amp to see if it is producing sound.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic