icon

subs and ohms and wiring oh my.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mb448 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased an alpine pdx-m12 (1200w rms d class amp) and an apline swr-1522d (15" dual 2 ohm voice coil).
My pdx-m12 says it's 2ohm and 4ohm stable at 1200w but a guy told me since my sub is wired at 4ohm I'm only getting half the power.. is that true?
If I get a swr-1542d, alpines dual 4 ohm voice coil, I can wire it properly to 2ohm.
corlon 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

yes the sub you have now can only be wired to 1 or 4 ohms by itself. if you get the other sub then you can wire it to 2 or 8 ohms by itself.

so yeah. i'd switch the woofer so your getting the most out of your amp.

nice...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Wrong. That amp produces 1200 watts into 4 ohms and also 1200 watts into 2 ohms. It uses a regulated power supply. Wire the sub for 4-ohms and set your gain properly and you will have all that amplifier can put out.
Support the12volt.com
mb448 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's what it says, 1200w stable at 2 or 4 ohms, but the guy at the local car audio place insisted that i'm not getting the full 1200 out of the amp at 4 ohms..
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
mb448 wrote:
Yes, that's what it says, 1200w stable at 2 or 4 ohms, but the guy at the local car audio place insisted that i'm not getting the full 1200 out of the amp at 4 ohms..
That guy would be wrong. :)
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
If you still do not know who to believe, check out the following webpage. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-m12/Specs
At the very top of the page, it gives you the 4 ohm and 2 ohm power rating. They are both 1200 watts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic