icon

2007 tundra wiring for tow behind toad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erkme73 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
This is probably a bit of a unique request. I've modified my Tundra to be 4-wheels down towable, to have it towed behind my motorhome. The only thing left is to tie the motorhome's lighting to the Tundra.
I know I can tie directly into the taillight assembly for each of the rear lights, isolating the truck via diodes. But, rather than do this at each light, I'm hoping to tie into a central point that will drive ALL lights - parking/brake/turn signal.
I'm hoping that all four corners come to a single (or maybe two) harness where I can inject the signal from the motorhome and rive all lights.
The problem with this request is, no matter how I search for trailer lighting, I get the obvious "here's how to connect a trailer harness to your Tundra". The Tundra will be the towed vehicle.
Any help would be appreciated!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
5 relays, 2 for parking lights, one each for each side indicator and one for brake light to interrupt the rear feed . You interrupt the output circuits e.g. at the brake switch, or rear going floor loom.
Here's one circuit:- tow.bmp
erkme73 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, Howie. How to integrate the feed from the towing vehicle to the Tundra is not the issue. It's WHERE to connect in the truck.   
Ideally, I want to find a point in the truck where I can inject the signal from the coach, where it will drive ALL the lights. For example, to drive the parking lights in all four corners, I'd like to intercept the signal coming from the ECU, isolate it, and push the voltage from the coach. I want to do that at a single point in the car, vs. tying in at each corner.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Floor loom, carries brake, rear lights and indicators, try the driver kickpanel, if not passenger kickpanel.
erkme73 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. But does anyone have the pinout for the loom/harness, and it's location? A drawing that shows with cables/pins do what would be preferable.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
TEST, it's all so easy.
erkme73 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
TEST, it's all so easy.
I can do that. But if someone has the drawings, why do the work? I see post after post for stereo/alarm/remote start where people identify harness location, pin number, and wire color. Figured this would be the place to find someone with similar resources. If all it was, was a matter of wire tracing and testing, I could have saved myself the effort of asking for help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Fly me over in November and I'll do it for you or right now call you lazy!
Someone has the diagrams but they've probably worked for it as you should.
erkme73 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I registered here in 2007. This was my first post for help. I can see if the answer is "you're lazy, go figure it out yourself" I had the right idea not to participate.
Good day.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
We're here to point you in the right direction, not do it for you.
I could guess all bar the brake lights but what's the point?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic