icon

good small battery for portable boombox

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akrowfrumsocal 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Im building a portable boombox using an MTX audio RTS8-44 200Wrms subwoofer and MTX audio RTX2BT 300W peak tweeter running off a an MTX audio RT602 2 channel amplifier and im wondering what kind of battery would be good to run this setup and last a good 12hrs+.something lightweight and small. im looking for some suggestions and where i can buy a battery. any info would help at this point. i have an ION rocker boombox and its not loud enough for me or definitely doesnt look as good . im trying to stand out from the crowd and do something different.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
It's called a petrol generator, or wall socket etc.
A 240W load for 12 hours requires a 2400AH 12V battery. That won't be small, nor cheap, nor light. Nor will it last long if discharged to that extent.
Lithium batteries are much lighter and better suited.    
You can get a 10-pack of 12V 200AH Li batteries FOB China for US $1,000 - 1,500 here. That'll give you 2000AH.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry - there's a decimal error above.
240W => 20A @ 12V => 20A x 12 hrs = 240AH, not 2400AH.
Assume lead-acid deep cycle with 50% max discharge, hence 480AH.
So four 120AH 12V deep cycle batteries will suffice.
If used daily and recharged immediately after use for 10 hours, they should last 1-2 years.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
So Peter, when's the 12Volt going to hit on YOU for unnecessary sarcasm?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry dude, that was a Cleeseity - ie, a bona fide training method that teaches what to do by showing what obviously not to do. EG, Fawlty Towers, Meetings Bloody Meetings, etc.   
Granted, my original x10 mistake was bad, but I still thought it a good design example. Hence why I did not delete and re-reply.
And I didn't find it an unreasonable example. I think I told you (or the12volt) about the outback "motel" that did not want to run their diesel at night and wanted a UPS? The best way I rammed the point home was my statement that the batteries would cost half a million dollars and would last between 1 week and 6 months. Batteries are NOT a suitable long-term/big power supply (reserve).
Besides, I'd expect experienced forums like this to understand master frustrations even IF my comments were intended as sarcasm.
Of course, I know your experience is different. But here they merely delete my replies and claim I'm the one being paranoid! That's an experience normally limited to litol mods on local car forums (one of which incidentally has apparently since "crashed"... ha ha!).
If it were an issue, I'd simply leave.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  
i think both of these threads Peter are proof of an old saying about leading a horse to water etc. I get frustrated and sarcastic when they can't achieve the second part.
Poor OP, you didn't expect a philosophy conversation did you?
On a practical side, what Oldspark told you is quite correct.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
What they are saying is that your amp/hour expectation with require more of an investment than the rest of your equipment.
Sorry, in layman's terms.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic