icon

quality of prime vs punch shallow woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mennitti 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone (preferably dealers) give me informed input on the quality differences between two 10" Rockford Fosgate "Prime" woofers and two 10" Rockford Fosgate "Punch" woofers? They will be installed in a quad cab truck with about 300 watts. Is there a noticeable difference spending the extra on the "Punch" woofers?
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Do not buy any shallow woofer. None of them are any good. What kind of truck?
mennitti 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
2003 Ford Sport Trac. Space is limited, and I don't want a box under the seats. I thought if I went with two tens, even though they are shallow, it would add a little low end?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i would have to agree, shallow mount subs are mostly a gimmick and they dont have very good capabilities and lack performance, they dont produce a good low end because of their shallow design wont allow them to move far enough to produce those notes in a musical fashion. if space is limited just get one 10 or even two 8's would be better than any shallow mount system.
sarcazm 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thats bull...depends on the signal and power you are providing the speakers...i hate the prime r2shallows...the p3s on a strong mono amp is amazing...make sure you have a good amp...i threw a kicker 1000 on a pair of p3shallows in a silverado... Amazing lil speakers...
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
If you mean shallows are not as good, if 2 speakers have the same dimensions except for travel, how does the limited travel speaker push out more power when its limit is reached?
If you mean that IAAM should have stated "they aren't as good" (compared to equivalents) rather than "none are good", cool.
But IMO don't confuse the issue with "signal and power" unless mentioning the dependence with power and upper frequency limitations.
mennitti 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Do not buy any shallow woofer. None of them are any good. What kind of truck?
Quoted for truth.
I bought the twelve inch P3. It sucks. Added low end, but no kick. In my last car I had a ten inch MTX in the trunk that pounded almost as hard as the JL Audios in my competition car. Very disappointed in this shallow mount woofer in the truck.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2013 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds as I expected. Not that I'm an expert - or even fitted subs - but it seemed logical.
Thanks for the support.
Of course, "good" is relative. If you've never known better...
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
the problem with every shallow sub woofer is the limited travel and thin basket. the limited travel means that you cant push it very hard and expect it to just take it without damage and the limited travel also doesnt allow the sub to produce the lowest frequencies at a usable volume without a ton of distortion. most of the design is done only to make a sub fit in a small space and operate with a small air space. other subs that dont have to worry about space limitations are able to have much better designs. honestly id rather have a set of normal 8" subs vs a set of 12" shallows, because you'd probably get about the same output and the 8's would probably sound better.
and just so i dont sound like i have something against shallow subs for no reason, ive been installing for about 10 years and professionally for 6 of those years. ive had to use so many shallow subs from most major brands at one point or another. i think one of the best shallow subs ive used, if you absolutely had to use them, would either be the kicker CVT subs for their durability and they are louder than i thought they would be, not very clean though. or,RE audio made a shallow sub for a year or two and discontinued it but it was pretty clean but a set of 12's in a truck box just wasnt loud enough to justify their price.
dustin arnold 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2014 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
shallow mount subs are all garbage dont think a 12" is always better than 8" or 6.5" 1 sundown 8" or 2 dd 6.5 " will sound alot better than any 2 12" shallow mounts
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic