icon

aftermarket dvd nav unit draining battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atikovi 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

I’m installing it in a 2007 Chevy Silverado. I’ve connected the wires without putting the unit into the dash as I still have not installed the backup camera yet. I let the truck sit for 2 or 3 weeks and the battery was dead. Charged and tested the battery and it’s fine and the only electronic thing I’ve done on the car recently was this radio. So I check the current draw at the battery and it’s about 0.180 amps, which seems high. But the current draw at the radio itself is near zero. I disconnect the cables from the radio and the draw drops to more normal 0.040 amps at the battery. For what it’s worth, the CAN Bus decoder feels hot but removing it doesn’t change the current draw.

I put this similar unit into another Chevy truck with no issues: aftermarket dvd nav unit draining battery -- posted image.

ib6469 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2013 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Dear atikovi ,
First off the can bus only controlls the ignition , the constant ( battery) wire is not affected by it . Two to three weeks is a long time to leave it not started. If I planned on leavingit that long I would put a relay on the constant wire controlled by a switch , that would allow me to switch it off for long periods of time . There are other things you can do also.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2013 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
Do not use a relay. Use a suitable switch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic