icon

2004 jeep grand cherokee 4103lx xk01 amdl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcconnell 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have a new to me 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. It came with one key and one fob so a remote start system that worked with the factory alarm system was a top priority.
I purchased an Avital 4103LX after the suggestion of another member of Jeepforum.com. I also purchased an XK01 with AMDL firmware after comparing the features of the XK01 and the DB-ALL.
I'm having trouble getting the system to work. I've connected the two devices via D2D though I've read several times that W2W is suggested. I elected to test D2D after realizing that the 4103LX does not have a door sense input. Fearing I may lose some functionality without the door sense input, I decided to test D2D first.
What I've connected
XK01 to the data wire on the OBDII connector.
4103LX to the parking light switch, I also moved the jumper to the (-) output
4103LX to Ignition, Start, both 12V connections and both accessory connections
Both are set to D2D mode. Both respond to programming inputs and both have been programmed correctly.
Nothing works. Could someone please help guide me through this process. If your suggestion is W2W, please provide some detail for me. Like what should I do about the door sense input, how do I hook up the defroster and comfort closure features, etc.
Best,
JC
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, went back and disconnected the D2D harness and tried again with W2W.
Both modules seem to be programmed properly. Again, nothing happens when using the remotes.
Hopefully I'm missing something small.
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
You needed to use the DB-ALL if you only had one key. The AMDL (xk01) only does convenience features. It will not bypass the transponder built into the keyhead. That would normally be fine if you had a spare key to keep in the car, but you don't. The DB-ALL will do convenience and transponder bypass through data with only one key to program it. With the DB-All you wouldn't need to give up the one key you have.
With that being said, you can test your install by sliding the key in the ignition, but don't turn it. Try to remote start it. If it starts you need to change bypasses, if not something is wrong with your install. You also should probably connect the tach wire to a coil or fuel injector. If you change to a DB-All the DB-All will supply your tach.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Five things come to mind.
1. The XK01 with AMDL firmware does not perfom the transponder bypass function, only convenience functions.
      If your Jeep has a Gray ignition key, you will need a transponder bypass to perform a remote start.
2. Was the XK01 flashed with the correct firmware? There are over a dozen flavors of firmware available for the XK01.
     You need the AMDL Ver 6.0 firmware for your application
3. The important step in programming the XK01 w/AMDL firmware to the Jeep is setting the Vehicle Install Type to 5. Did
     that seem to go as per the programming instructions?
4. There is a known problem with some Avital remote start units and the DBI D2D port. It has a dual function of DBI D2D
      and as access for the BitWriter. It does not switch automatically between the two functions. Here is a link for more
      info :   http://www.12voltdata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8315
5. Being as the Avital 4103 is a remote start and keyless entry system for automatic transmission vehicles only, it has no
     need for the Door Status input.
As a last resort, try W2W. It always works...
Soldering is fun!
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Hopefully I can get this completed this evening.
1. I was aware of the lack of a transponder bypass in the XK01. I was more interested in it's convenience features than the the bypass in the DB-ALL. I had 5 copies of the original key made. I plan to zip-tie the transponder key in the steering column (I may actually snip the key off of the transponder, haven't decided). For the time being, it's wedged in in the steering column for testing purposes.
2. The XK01 is running AMDL 6.0
3. I did set the XK01 to vehicle type 5.
4. I switched the Avital from default to D2D when testing the D2D connection with the XK01. On the second try, when I attempted to use W2W, I switched the Avital back to default.
5. Though I am new, I am still curious, what is the significance of a door status input on a manual transmission vehicle?
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've also just noticed that some of the convenience features are only supported in the D2D mode. Here's to hoping I can get this working properly in D2D mode.
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
A remote starter system for a manual transmission vehicle has a special "reservation mode".
Reservation mode is a series of steps that must be followed when shutting off the vehicle that ensures it
is left in neutral, the car is secured ( doors / trunk closed ) and locked. The remote start system monitors
the door and trunk triggers to be certain the vehicle was never entered ( and thus the possibility that the
transmission was put into gear ) prior to a remote start-up. Remember that the vehicles clutch interlock
switch must be bypassed to allow a remote start-up.
Think it's only the Tach signal that is D2D. (Door monitoring and CAN Alarm shouldn't be an issue.) You can
get a Tach signal at the engine easily enough and you need to run the Hood Pin wire thru the firewall anyway.
Soldering is fun!
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I'm gonna do a bit more work. Will report back soon. Going to give D2D a second try while implementing some revisions I noticed I previously overlooked.
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
So I've had some success. I went back to D2D mode and confirmed that I had connected everything properly. I had forgotten to connect the NSS wire. I opted to ground it rather than connecting it to the NSS. Another 12volt forum member suggested doing the same in this thread(Also a JGC): https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~130244#649534
The first issue I've noticed- door lock/unlock commands do not work while the drivers door is open. After some research it seems that this issue is common on the Grand Cherokee and is related to brittle wiring in the door jams. It's late so I plan to check this tomorrow.
The second and more concerning issue- the rear hatch release is not working at the moment and I don't have any idea as to why. It's supported by the XK01 and there are no options regarding turning this on or off. So it suggests to me that something else is wrong here. Any suggestions?
Plans for tomorrow are to turn on driver's door priority unlock and enable the comfort closure feature on the XK01. I also need to connect the horn output and brake switch. Then tidy up the install and put things away.
I have one additional question. My Jeep has the homelink feature and the 4103LX has some additional accessory outputs. Is it possible to configure the 4103LX to engage one of the homelink buttons, either through the databus or some additional wiring? It would be great to hit a button on the 4103LX to open the garage.
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
jcconnell 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Does the comfort closure feature need to be enabled on both the 4103LX and the XK01 or on just one?
Avital 4103LX XK01 AMDL
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic