icon

2100w rms to 15 kicker l7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
78 lemans 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
Will the L7 rated @ 1000w rms handle 2100w rms going into it?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
No, but that amp does not put out 2100 watts unless your right hand tells it to. You may have to use a little self control.
78 lemans 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
No, but that amp does not put out 2100 watts unless your right hand tells it to. You may have to use a little self control.
I didnt say which amp. I'm picking up a Hifonics Brutus Elite BE2100.1D which is rated 2100w rms @ 1ohm.
The Kicker is dual 2ohm voice coils. So basically as long as I keep it toned down and not push it constantly it should hold?
Just debating if I should leave the Kicker wired to the 1000w rms that it is now and wait until I have two subs to run off the Hifonics.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
if you set the amp correctly and use self control to not over drive the sub then it should not blow the sub. but if you cant help but to turn it up all the way and play nothing but bass heavy music at full volume all the time then your L7 will die swiftly. also if you are using a ported box then you should set the sub sonic filter to the tuning frequency of the port so that you dont physically over extend the voice coil on extra low notes
78 lemans 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
if you set the amp correctly and use self control to not over drive the sub then it should not blow the sub. but if you cant help but to turn it up all the way and play nothing but bass heavy music at full volume all the time then your L7 will die swiftly. also if you are using a ported box then you should set the sub sonic filter to the tuning frequency of the port so that you dont physically over extend the voice coil on extra low notes
For the most part it wont be pushed that hard but I may test it once in a while. I could wire it to 4 ohms at 700w rms but seems that would defeat the point of the amp although probably be less strain and heat.
Speaking of subsonic filters that was a question I had about my current sealed 10" where should I have the filter set with a sealed enclosure?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
the sub sonic is not really needed with a sealed box. all the sub sonic does if filter the extreme low notes, usually 30Hz and below. when you have a ported box design you can have problems when you try to play notes that are lower than the tuning frequency of the box, below this point the box doesnt act like a box anymore and it loses control of the cone of the woofer and doesnt produce much sound either. it is very dangerous to sub woofers, it can cause the sub woofer to over extend itself physically and the low frequencies also will draw more power from the amp and that can cause the coil to fry. setting the sub sonic filter can help avoid problems like these.
78 lemans 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
the sub sonic is not really needed with a sealed box. all the sub sonic does if filter the extreme low notes, usually 30Hz and below. when you have a ported box design you can have problems when you try to play notes that are lower than the tuning frequency of the box, below this point the box doesnt act like a box anymore and it loses control of the cone of the woofer and doesnt produce much sound either. it is very dangerous to sub woofers, it can cause the sub woofer to over extend itself physically and the low frequencies also will draw more power from the amp and that can cause the coil to fry. setting the sub sonic filter can help avoid problems like these.
Ok so in a sealed box where should I have it set?
I have to double check but I dont think there was an on/off switch for it, just the dial. I could be wrong as its a different amp that has been a while since I played around with the settings.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: August 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
with a sealed box its really up to personal preference, you can just leave it all the way down, or maybe even turn it a little bit up so the amp wont waste energy on trying to play frequencies that your box wont make.
avanthika 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2013 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Nice sharing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic