icon

car headrests

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fosgate24360 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2013 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
i happened to find an older pair of power acoustik headrest monitors model #pt-716hr. they have what looks like an 8 pin s-video type(female side) plug coming out of the monitors. i was wondering where i could possibly get the other side/cable that plugs into these(i think it plugs in and on other end gives you positive/ground and video rca)? ive tried epsilion/power acoustik direct and they couldnt find me anything. so i thought maybe i could just 'hard wire' them and cut the s-video end off one. now i see these wires.....1 green, 1 gray, 1 black(assuming ground), 1 red(thinner), 1 red(thicker), 1 white(thinner), and 1 white(thicker). i know the thicker white is for the video as it also has a wire on the outside of it(ground). the thin white and thin red i figured were for audio(which these monitors dont have any speakers and the boxes dont say IR transmitter built in). so maybe the thicker red is the positive? as for the gray and green, no clue. thx for anyone out there who knows whats what
misacaau 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2013 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen this problem a few times, especially when people take them out in a hurry cos the repo man is on the way. I'm not sure about Power Acustic screens but the ones I've seen all look similar but I've never been able to source the wiring anywhere. Identifying the wiring is trial and error mostly except that you cant afford too many errors. Your right about the video and audio signals, they are usually together inside a shield, the red and yellow or whatever colour wires are left could be anything. I found that the standard colour codes don't mean much, although if your a tech wiz you might get an idea from what your multimeter tells you but as an installer, I'd walk away from it and try to sell him new ones.
Mike
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2013 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Your right in your current assumption of colours. RED / White (thin) being audio and White(thick) being video. I would also safely assume that the ground on the video cable is the same ground used for the audio.
A quick multimeter test will also tell you if the black and the shield are tied together internally also.
Red is a fair assumption for constant. But not a definete. I would try putting power onto it through the red and black using a 1A fuse. Then if it fires up, start applying video.
Given that it has no speakers built in or is IR, the rest of the wires would be redudant and only used in higher models.
Fact of the matter is, what have you got to lose? What have you got to gain?
fosgate24360 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2013 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
well i tried running power to the thicker red as positive and ran the black to the black wire as negative and nothing happens. you think i need to put the ground from the video shield(thicker white wire) onto the same ground as the black wire? i just hate to toss out good screens if i can get them to work....after all, they were free to me lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic