icon

quick roof sound dampening

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bulwinklemoose 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
There is a product that can be found at Home depot in the roofing section called "Quick roof", Lowes has a similar product called "Peel and stick." They are both just like Dynamat (rubberized asphalt based, aluminum foil lined, peel and stick (best done with a roller)) but these roof products are both just a fraction of the cost of Dynamat.
http://youtu.be/IMnSywjUxp0
Dynamat the last time I checked, was $25.00 for a 6" x 36" piece, while Quick roof costs just $17.00 for a 6" x 25' roll.
I used Quick roof on my car's floors and doors a few years ago and just wanted to pass this cheaper alterative on to you all...
quick roof sound dampening - Last Post -- posted image.
Keep on Buggin'
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
i bet it smells horrible when you use it in a car. most dampening material for cars have gone away from asphalt based designs and use butyl rubber compounds which dont smell...there's your price difference right there. ive have heard of people using this stuff and i guess it works alright but it probably doesnt stick as good when it gets hot or cold, not an issue on a roof because its always laying down, but in a car it could be in any position and the last thing you would want is this stuff peeling off your roof or trunk lid and messing up your headliner or carpet.
bulwinklemoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
i bet it smells horrible when you use it in a car. most dampening material for cars have gone away from asphalt based designs and use butyl rubber compounds which dont smell...there's your price difference right there. ive have heard of people using this stuff and i guess it works alright but it probably doesnt stick as good when it gets hot or cold, not an issue on a roof because its always laying down, but in a car it could be in any position and the last thing you would want is this stuff peeling off your roof or trunk lid and messing up your headliner or carpet.
I haven't noticed any tarlike smell with this product at all. I suppose you may get a smell if you apply a heat gun to the black side to aid in best adhesion to body. I would tend to think that the foil would cut down on the smell if any was present?
As for withstanding cold and heat, well I applied this into a '74 Volkswagon Beetle 4 years ago and haven't lost it off my doors yet. Mind you we do have brutal winters up here, I do not drive the car when the snow flies but the car stays outside and covered not garaged.
Keep on Buggin'
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2013 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
nah, if there was a smell the foil wouldnt help, ive applied the smelly stuff back in the day and the foil did nothing for the smell even without using a heat gun to roll it. as far as the stickiness, doors are a little different because there is always a door panel to keep the mat in place even after it dries up enough to make it fall off other spots.
anyway, i guess this stuff is fine to use, usually id say something like you get what you pay for but this really isnt the case with dampening mat. ive used it all, in every price range and id still rather buy the cheap stuff because it works just as well and you can roll the car twice for the price of more expensive mats. plus the cheaper mats are thinner so they form better to curves thus they look better too if you roll it the right way.
bulwinklemoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
well 4 years ago I bought 2- 1ft x 1ft. squares of Dynamat and it cost me $20.00, after that I really wanted to look for an alterative.
So I just wanted to post this much cheaper alterative to Dynamat although it is not advertised as a sound deadener, it still has a use as one.
I see that other companies are using a foil lined bubble wrap as a sound deadener ( It's very lightweight...may have to use contact cement to adhere it), you can also find that at Home Depot for a lower price, it's in the insulation section.
Keep on Buggin'
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2013 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't use that stuff at all. You will have the tar smell in the summer when the roof of car get up to 100+ degrees. Also on the roof you will need a deadener with a very strong adhesive on it or it will sag and peel off. I would recommend a spay adhesive like 3M or better. The home depot and Lowe's stuff is made for home roofing and not made to be applied upside down. I have used Knukonceptz deadener for the floor and roof and rat-trap in the doors and sides, along with a spay seal from Home depot to seal the joints. (the spray Rust Oleum Leak Seal i would recommend very much, I have had very good results from it.)
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2013 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
We use Dynamat Xtreme.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
see, im with bullwinkle, im always rather use the cheaper sound dampening because in the end it really is basically the same stuff. dynamat is just entirely too much money for what it is. yes it is thicker but i find that it makes the mat harder to lay on corners and curves which leads to a very sloppy looking job. i might just be splitting hairs here because usually you wont see the dynamat under the carpet or in the door but im the type that likes to take pictures of my work and show it off to other people. thick mats take forever to roll out.
i like thinner mat, fat mat is my favorite budget mat. its thick enough for one layer to make a difference and thin enough to roll out easily even without a heat gun. also, fatmat is by far the stickiest mat ive ever used, you can just barely touch it to a clean door skin and you will have to fight to pull it off, once you get it rolled on i dont think you will ever get it off even with a heat gun. and if i feel like i want more i can double layer anything i want and it will still be cheaper than dynamat. i do like stinger road kill but it also comes with a higher price tag but still not as bad as dynamat.
but i still agree that the home depot alternatives are cheap for a reason and that it isnt made to be rolled upside down, installer beware, if it peels off be prepared for a huge mess to clean up.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic