icon

audiobahn vs jl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have 2 audiobahn 1200q subs and i have been fairly satisfied with their performance. the spl is fairly good and the sound quality is ok not bad for the price recently a salesman told me that a jl 12" w3 will blow the audiobahns out of the water. does anyone have experiance with these, i am thinking of upgrading to either the audiobahn flame series or the jl w6 any thoughts? thanks for the help
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you have the money go with JL audio W 6v2. These are some nasty subs that have just been made nastier. I have 3 JL 12 w3's in my ride and they slam and the s.q. is quite good. My friend has 2 JL 12 W6's hooked up to a soundstream class a 6.0 bridged to 1 ohm and in a spec box and they will make your eyeballs rattle. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with audiobahn subs. A good place to go for reviews is www.carreview.com. That might not be the exact address but if you type audiobahn reviews in a search engine that should be the first thing that pops up. I have found the useful in making a decision on several purchases. Good luck
J. Mike Perkins
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Velocity posted some more links at the bottom of this post. The post was about headunits, but you can to use most of the search engines for subs as well (plus other car audio information)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Ryan Smith 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

Comparing Audiobahn to JL is like comparing Yugo's to a Mercedes.  Audiobahn is overmarketed, bling-bling junk marketed towards kids.  Flame designs?!  Come on...  G-H-E-T-T-O....

Sure, kids will think it sounds good, because they've never heard anything "real."  If you do decide on JL's (any series), please do them justice with a good amp.  My favorites are the Zapco C2K series, but you can get a couple thousand bucks wrapped up in them without much effort.  Look into JL's amps - they are very reputable amps with a good average price you will pay for anything worthwhile.

Just my $ .02

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
 I ran some AW1208Q's in my last set up the SQ was better than I expected for a SPL sub, and the Spl was amazing. But If your leaning toward SQ I would suggest the W6V2 if your going for SPL I would suggest the Flame 08's. Now I’m not an Audiobahn nut by any means but the salesman that said a W3 would blow a Flame Q out of the water is talking out of his ass. And to Ryan Smith I have run every thing from $20 dollar subs all the way up to  $1000 subs and can tell you that Audiobahn's subs are far from over marketed, bling-bling junk marketed towards kids. I have seen you comment on Audiobahn many times on this forum but you never comment on anything you say you have owned. All you can say is Audiobahn Bling Bling. So before you talk about a product you have probably never owned you should go and try the equipment first hand.
ucantbeme 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
I personally have 2 Audiobahn AW1208Q's and my friend has 2 of the JL 12w6 and they both sound great . We've done a side by side comparison and as far as sq, I would go with the JL's but as far as spl I'd go with the audiobahns. I think Audiobahn is a pretty good brand.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
not to stir the pot here, but the claims I see about Audiobahn are IMO getting out of hand...
I have heard most of the Audiobahn subs out today in different installs...some that I have installed myself, some the my peers have installed, and the like, so the quality of the install hasnt really played a large role in the opinion I have formed...
I personally dont think the phrase "sound quality" is really applicable in reference to any of the Audioblah products that I have heard...I think they are highly overrated as any kind of sound q woofer...true, some of the Audiobahn subs can get kind of loud, especially if the right person is behind the box design, but I personally wouldnt purchase any of their products because there are better subs in both the SQ and SPL arenas for less money or at least equal...
I do have to agree on the "Bling Bling" factor that has been mentioned, and I also agree kind of with Ryan Smiths statement...in some areas, the subs are marketed at a younger age group (I personally will never have anything with flames on it in any of my own installs...) who have the products over hyped because some devious salesmen have figured out what will sell...I know where I live, some kids will live and die Audiobahn because of hype alone...and its kind of funny the excuses that are heard when their Audiobahn systems dont live up to their hype...
I personally think that they get more hype than is really warranted for their performance in both SQ and SPL, but I havent quite put them down to the Pyramid/Legacy/Road Gear status as of yet...
and personally, I would go with the JLs...I like the SQ of the w3, and the w6 I believe will be louder than the Audiobahns...
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
I still prefer RF (call me bandwagon if you want, but I've been an RF fan since '92). I haven't had the opportunity (good or bad) to hear any of Audiobahn's subs to form a real personal opinion based on their performance, but it looks like Audiobahn designed them specifically for inverted setups, which is kind of rediculous because you lose SQL that way! Go figure...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic