icon

2003 jeep liberty speaker whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nightowl2 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have the following (I known a lot of it is cheap - what can you do if you just don't have the money?)
Head unit - Sony MEX 1GP (Giga Panel)
Door Speakers - Pyle - 6.5 Inch
Amp - Bass Inferno BL1000.4 Four channel
Sub - Pyle 10 Inch DVC 4 Ohm
Amp - Memphis Audio ST200 2 channel (Bridged to power sub)
RCA's are Rockford's twisted
I have the speaker whine and I have never had this with any other system, cheap or otherwise. I checked the RCA's from the rear of the Sony, as in this link: http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html solid on all four. I ran new RCA's with the head unit out of the dash straight to the amps, still have the whine. This is only with the engine running. It will become higher pitched as I accelerate. I also turned the gains all of the way down (that was for you,i am an idiot) and the whine is still there with no change.
I have NEVER (I know tommy is going see that!) had a whine before. I have been reading about this all morning and tried what I have found, but nothing works. I hate to assume anything, but I believe it is coming from the head unit. I hear it in all of the speakers...sub too. It is much less in the sub as I have it set to cut high frequencies.
I have used this head unit in two other vehicles, the first one was a Neon, the second was an Intrepid. It was not there in the Neon, barely noticeable in the Intrepid, and overbearing in the Jeep. I have to crank the volume to almost clipping before I can't hear it any longer.
The Memphis amp has been there in all three systems, the Bass Inferno is new, to the Jeep along with the door speakers and sub.
Thanks all.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
It is either a ground loop problem, or the DBi amplifier. We do sell their 1750 watt one channel amp. We have sold over 100 of them over the last couple years and have never had even a minor problem with them. But the build quality of the line leads me to believe that the amp is probably your problem.
Call around and see if a local shop will let you try a ground loop isolator to see if it will get rid of your noise. Pac Sni-1 would be a great choice, it is a directional device, it is designed to be installed in the circuit behind your radio. If it is hard to get the radio out to test with the device, you can install it at the amp. It will be backwards if installed at the amp. But it will let you know if it will get rid of the noise. If it does help and you choose to put it in your system, you NEED to put it behind the radio. The device has a 1 to 1.25 ratio. If you connect it at the amp it will drop the level getting to your amp.
One may do it, or you may need 2. Try it on just the front without the rear RCA connected. See what it does. Then connect the Rear RCA and see what happens.
Also try a different type of RCA cable. Drape it over the seat for testing.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2013 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Do you run your power wires on the same side as your RCA's
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2013 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
nightowl2 wrote:
I have the following (I known a lot of it is cheap - what can you do if you just don't have the money?)
Head unit - Sony MEX 1GP (Giga Panel)
Door Speakers - Pyle - 6.5 Inch
Amp - Bass Inferno BL1000.4 Four channel
Sub - Pyle 10 Inch DVC 4 Ohm
Amp - Memphis Audio ST200 2 channel (Bridged to power sub)
RCA's are Rockford's twisted
I have the speaker whine and I have never had this with any other system, cheap or otherwise. I checked the RCA's from the rear of the Sony, as in this link: http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html solid on all four. I ran new RCA's with the head unit out of the dash straight to the amps, still have the whine. This is only with the engine running. It will become higher pitched as I accelerate. I also turned the gains all of the way down (that was for you,i am an idiot) and the whine is still there with no change.
I have NEVER (I know tommy is going see that!) had a whine before. I have been reading about this all morning and tried what I have found, but nothing works. I hate to assume anything, but I believe it is coming from the head unit. I hear it in all of the speakers...sub too. It is much less in the sub as I have it set to cut high frequencies.
I have used this head unit in two other vehicles, the first one was a Neon, the second was an Intrepid. It was not there in the Neon, barely noticeable in the Intrepid, and overbearing in the Jeep. I have to crank the volume to almost clipping before I can't hear it any longer.
The Memphis amp has been there in all three systems, the Bass Inferno is new, to the Jeep along with the door speakers and sub.
Thanks all.
I have ran all new RCA's, as posted in the original post and highlighted above. The new RCA's were suspended not touching or even near any other wires or metal. I guess I will try the ground loop isolator and hope that it will lessen it enough to be able to listen to music. I am currently not listening to the stereo at all because of how obnoxious the noise is.
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2013 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
*UPDATE*
I purchased two Tru Connex (model number - TC-GLI) ground loop isolators from Best Buy. I installed them and that reduced the amount of noise by at least 80%. I adjusted the gains for the rest...now it is 100% noise free at this point, but the amp is not powerful enough to give me the output that I need. I made several adjustments to no avail. I ended up cutting the ground from the factory harness to ground the stereo straight to the chassis on a suggestion from the shop tech at Best Buy. In doing so there was no change...well maybe slightly...wasn't sure. I tried one last thing...this does not make any sence, but it worked!
I removed the stereo ground from the chassis, radio remained powered...and no noise...period! I have the gains on the amp all the way up and still -0- noise! I'm not sure what this means, but I have cured the whine.
Also, these (as I'm sure all ground isolators do) have a ground wire. The ground wire could not be grounded as this would re-introduce noise to the speakers.
This is just an FYI for anyone else that has this issue...I'm sure it is because the equipment is of lower quality, but I will tell you that even though that is said, this system sounds excellent! It might not sound like I have $3000 invested, but you would never guess that I have less than $600 in the entire system.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2013 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your stereo is grounding some where else . so when you unplugged the ground from the car was the stereo touching the car .or you unplugged the radio ground stuck it back in the dash and tried it
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 03, 2013 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Did you install the devices behind the radio or at the amp? They are usually directional devices that need to be installed behind the radio. One reason this matters is that most of them do have gain built into them. The Pac-Audio piece has a ratio of 1 to 1.25. If you connect it at the amp it then reduces the signal instead of boosting it.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 03, 2013 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Every radio in every car will ground through the antenna cable.
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2013 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Did you install the devices behind the radio or at the amp? They are usually directional devices that need to be installed behind the radio. One reason this matters is that most of them do have gain built into them. The Pac-Audio piece has a ratio of 1 to 1.25. If you connect it at the amp it then reduces the signal instead of boosting it.
Yes I did. And lucky enough they both fit in a hole to the right of the radio behind the dash.
nightowl2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2013 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
still_walkin wrote:
Sounds like your stereo is grounding some where else . so when you unplugged the ground from the car was the stereo touching the car .or you unplugged the radio ground stuck it back in the dash and tried it
I had the stereo removed from the dash, propped up, and balanced on the gear shift. I also checked all of the metal plated behind the stereo in the dash for continuity to the chassis. There is only one place that had continuity and that was about 6-8 inches below the stereo. All of the other plates it seems where just for reinforcement to strengthen the dash...no ground. All of this was with the stereo propped on the gear shift.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic