2012 hyundai elantra remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbjoe 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I just installed a Crimestopper RS7-G4 into a customer's 2012 Elantra Limited with push-to-start. I used the Fortin EVO-ALL module and hooked everything up as per their instructions. The install went off without a hitch and I think it only took 2.5 hours total. My customer had the car for a couple of days and then the remote stopped resonding. She said it would not work in the morning, but when she got to work, it would work. Of course when she would bring it back to me, it would work and the only way for me to repeat the issue she was having was to disconnect power to the remote starter. This has gone on for almost two weeks now. I have replaced the antenna, that did end up going bad, but I think it was due to the adhesive letting loose from the antenna, not the windshield, but the antenna itself and it must have hit against the mirror. I have replaced the brain, (just in case) installed a new antenna cable, moved power from the fuse panel (as shown on Fortin's instructions) directly to the battery. I have tripple checked all of my connections which are all soldered. When the remote responds, the vehicle functions and responds just like it should. I even swapped out the EVO-All with the latest and greatest programming in it just to make sure that wasn't it.

The car has a dealer installed homelink rearview mirror. Could that be interfereing with the remote starter's frequency? Could the keyfob sensors in the car be interfereing as well? I have been in contact with Crimestopper's tech support and done all of their sugestions. Now I can't even get them to call me back. I am even an authorized delaer for them! Right now the customer is asking for a refund, but I really want this to work for her. I am going to be swapping out the unit with one from Scytek, which is the other brand I offer. It runs on an AM frequency. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing the remote starter to act like it isn't even plugged in, please share them with me!

I also just got a call from her as I was typing this and the remote starter worked when she got to work. When I was hooking the power to the battery, I noticed there is a current sensor installed on the ground cable. Could it be possible that this sensor is sensing the 30milliamps the RS is drawing and interupting the ground? My first thought was that the fusebox was losing power overnight when the car went to sleep, that is why I moved the connection directly to the battery. I have never heard of interupting the ground side before, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. My ground is screwed to the frame under the dash and is a very clean ground.

Thanks,

Joe

tbjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Quick update - I have now moved the ground to directly to the battery so I now have both the power and ground going direct to the battery terminals. All was working for about 2 hours, then she tried it again and the unit wouldn't respond. I went to her house to see it for myself, and I have 12.65v at the brain, but only 11.77v at the antenna. I started the car and got 13.69v at the antenna and in about 5 seconds, the thing started responding. Once the car was shut off, the voltage slowly trickled back down to 11.77v and it even went as low as 11.65v. The unit would still respond, but if it sat for 3 to 5 minutes without hitting any of the buttons, it would go back to not responding.
I bench tested another unit I have once I got back home and the battery I was using was showing 12.89v and the antenna cable was showing 12.25 to 12.35 volts. I think I will be calling tech support tomorrow to figure out what the minimum voltage the antenna needs to stay operational is.
tbjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

Just a quick update. Tech support said the minimum voltage on the antenna is 5v, so that wasn't an issue. I ran out of spare parts to keep testing things in her car and my customer was running out of patience. I ended up installing a Scytek Astra 1000RS-2w-1 in her car and it has been working fine since. Just want to let anyone who is reading this know incase you run into the same issue in the future.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that there was a component in the car that was "blocking" the Crimestopper's signals. Might be a one-in-a-million occurance. 2012 hyundai elantra remote start - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic