icon

need 2 way remote start for manual trans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bocephus660 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
i am looking to install remote start in my 94 cavalier with manual transmission. it doesnt need to be anything fancy with difficult programing. i am looking for basic 2 way remote start that is DIY capable and has a 2 way remote. what do you guys recommend?
1. it needs to be a DIY type job. i have plenty of 12v knowledge and i know i can install one of these, but i read about all the programming that is needed on these newer units and it makes me think a dealer has to do the install.... i need to be able to do it on my own.
2. has to work with manual trans (obviously)
3. has to have 2 way remote.
4. all it needs to do is start the car. i realize these units now days can do so much more, but i am only interested in the remote starting aspect of the unit. thats fine if it has locks and trunk capabilities, but i dont need all the other alarms, etc...
5. needs to be under $200
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

Tough question.   A lot of requirements, but the main issue is to find a quality 2-way unit that is

manual transmission safe and DIY friendly.  There really isn't any quality brand that is DIY friendly. 
All of the major brands will not support or warranty a DIY install of their products. 

While your vehicle is very easy in auto trans form, doing a remote start on a manual trans vehicle

requires additional wiring.  Besides the clutch interlock bypass, all doors and the trunk must be
monitored and a connection to the E-Brake is necessary.

My choice for your car would be a Compustar FT6200s with the RF-2WG5-SH Remote Kit.  If the

car has power door locks, get a Directed 451M Door Lock Module.  If the car has a power trunk
release, buy a 30/40 Amp SPDT relay + 5 wire harness.  Might want to get two of those relays, the
second one for the clutch bypass.
Current street prices :
FT6200s      = $60
RF-2WG5-SH          = $80
DEI 451M       =  $9
2 x SPDT relay        =  $8
5 pack 1N4001       =  $3
         $160

This would give you a high quality system with one 2-way remote and one 1-way remote.  The

remotes have good ( 3000 ft ) range but are not the LCD display type, they use LEDs to indicate
command confirmation.   Programming is possible with the remotes, but there wouldn't be a whole
lot of changes necessary to the Factory Defaults.  Install guides ( albeit slightly out of date ) are
available for the Compustar and DEI 451M in the downloads section.

A 2-way system is typically at the high end of prices and loaded with features.  There is a big learning

curve with any system but Compustar isn't as bad as Viper.   Bottom line - a bunch of research will
be necessary for a successful and safe install.

Soldering is fun!
bocephus660 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
if 2 way remote really throws a wrench into the mix, i guess i could live without it. but the prices of the items you listed are within budget. i know i wont have warranty if i install it.....i just want to make sure that i am able to do it without any dealer programming.
whats with the doors and trunk being monitored? there are no power locks or power trunk on the car.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Long story on the doors and trunk...

To ensure a safe remote start-up on a manual transmission vehicle, there is an elaborate Reservation

Mode process that makes sure the doors are closed and then locked by the R/S system when it shuts
off the engine.  At that point, the R/S system knows the car is in neutral.  It monitors all points of access
to guarantee that no one entered the vehicle ( and possibly put the trans in gear ) prior to the next remote
start-up.  The diodes will be used to isolate all the door triggers from each other and give a single status
input to the R/S brain.

Having power door locks is almost mandatory on a manual trans install.  The Compustar wants to lock

all the doors itself during Reservation Mode.  It will still monitor the doors and exit Reservation Mode if a
door is opened but...   If you want to add power door locks, delete the 451M & one relay and add a Omega DS Kit 4.4
( $30 ).

Soldering is fun!
bocephus660 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
so is there a less sophisticated kit that doesnt require all this stuff? im looking for a bare bones type kit here. this is a 500 dollar car that i drive to work lol.
how does a remote starter installed in a similar vehicle WITH AUTO transmission know when its safe to start? just when it sees the vehicle is in park? how does the remote starter know when the car is in park?
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Less sophisticated? Maybe. Kreg is providing you with the information to do a correct and SAFE install for a manual transmission. A Newer vehicle with an automatic transmission has built in safety features (Neutral Safety Switch),to prevent the starter from engaging when in Drive or Reverse. Try putting an automatic in D and then try to start it.
My 1992 Chevy truck is an automatic, but the remote starter will engage while in drive or reverse. Had to install a relay to defeat that issue.
Look on youtube, there are of videos of vehicles remote starting while in gear and causing damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkbrFcXSqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-hQ4AneCA
You wouldn't want to Remote start your car and watch as it crashes into something would you?
http://www......com/item_10674_Omega-DS-KIT-4.4.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp3598070&gclid=CPvc9PHyq7oCFa1aMgodm3kAEw#tabs
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
bocephus660 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
what if, what if, what if...... i realize there are a good percentage of people in this world that could not have something like this on their vehicle for that VERY reason. but there are also a percentage of us that think a little more about things like this than others. i plan on using the parking brake as my "neutral safety switch."
someone could run into your vehicle when you are driving to work tomorrow to.....does that mean i advise you not to go to work? no. accidents happen. i understand where you are coming from.....but all that extra stuff isnt for me.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
But if someone drives into your vehicle, you are not the one that goes to jail.
And remote starters are not an accident - they are a mature technology with well known issues and solutions. If you DIY and cause damage or injury due to some missing or bypassed feature (that commercial units provide), then you'll probably be in big trouble.
Not that I am familiar with the relevant stateside regulations, but I hear you guys are very prone to law suits.
I find many have little clue about what is required. Recent OPs hereon re this same type of equipment seemed to have no idea why hood or motorcycle side/center-stand switches would be required, and IMO those features do not require much thought.
PS - I often find that after people DIY there own, all of a sudden their power consumption becomes an issue. need 2 way remote start for manual trans -- posted image.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Don't take this personally, but we are not hacks on this forum; we are mostly all professional installers, and will not assist someone who refuses to do a proper and SAFE installation. I'm sure I don't speak for everyone here, but I can almost guarantee I speak for most. If you are looking for help with installing an UNSAFE remote start that can result in the death of an innocent person, please find your information elsewhere. Otherwise, we are more than happy to help with a proper and safe installation.
Be the installation big or small, do it right or not at all!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
bocephus660 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
i see your point and respect your opinion. i will be installing a starter as if it were in an automatic tranny vehicle with a "park sensor" on the e-brake.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic