icon

transmitter learning procedure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cameroo 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with a 2 way Autostart remote start system installed by the dealer. I just purchased a spare 1-way fob for the wife and thought I could program the unit myself rather than having to pay the dealer $50 for a 2 minute job.
I seem to be able to get into the programming mode fine using the button on the antenna (the LED comes on and will stay on for 20 if I don't do anything else), but when I get to the sequence of turning the ignition Off, then On, then Off, it seems to kick out of programming mode (the blue LED on the antenna turns off). I'm not sure if it's got something to do with the Push-to-start ignition in this vehicle or what. I push the ignition button once to turn it off, twice more (cycles through "Acc" and "Run" modes), and then once more to return to off, before pressing and holding the "Lock" button on the fob, which is supposed to make the headlights flash 5 times when it's recognized. That never happens.
Sorry for the short novel, but I figured the more details I could provide the easier it might be to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any of you guys experience this before? Thanks in advance. Hope I'm not posting a duplicate question, but I seriously searched for an answer with no relevant results.
Cameroo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone??
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
What model of Autostart do you have? Not familiar with them, but if I can find the manual for it I'll take a look.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
Cameroo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2381TW FM. I have a copy of the manual, but I can't follow the instructions "to the letter" because I have a "push-to-start" ignition. I can't simply cycle the ignition on and off like the procedure says, because the ignition button cycles from "Acc" through "Run" mode before returning to "Off" mode. There must be some trick to doing it, but I just can't figure it out.
Might have to swallow my pride, call the dealership back, and pay them their ridiculous fee... :P
smokeman1 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I don't seem to be able to fine a manual with the remote pairing procedure. Is it telling you to cycle the ignition on and off XX number of times?
Cameroo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
The procedure is in the "Quick Guide" at the bottom of page 3.
It states the following:
Entering programming mode using the Antenna Programming Button

-Make sure the hood is closed.
-Turn the ignition key to the IGNITION ON (RUN)position. (I push the Ignition button twice - First to go to "Acc" mode, then again to get to the "Run" (or "On") position)
-Within 5 seconds, press the programming button on the antenna twice for 1 second each time. The LED will come ON solid for 20 seconds.
-You now have 20 seconds to select one of the
sub-menus. (Everything goes fine up to this point. The blue LED turns on for 20 seconds) Next comes the programming part:
PROGRAMMING THE TRANSMITTER TO THE MODULE
1. In programming mode the parking lights will stay on for up to 20 seconds.
2. Before the lights go out, turn the ignition key to OFF (if not OFF already), then ON, then OFF. (This is where things screw up. I push the ignition button once to get to "Off" (was still "On" from previous step), and then push it 3 more times to cycle through Acc, Run, and Off again. This is when the blue light goes off and I get kicked out of programming mode)
3. Press and hold the button and keep it down until the parking lights flash 5 times quickly.
4. The transmitter has been stored in memory. Each unit can store 4 remotes in its memory.
5. You have 20 more seconds to select one of the sub-menus if needed.
smokeman1 
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
Not being familiar with these units, it looks like you can enter the programing mode by using the hood pin, giving you the 20 seconds to cycle the ignition on & off, then press and hold the LOCK button until the parking lights flash 5 times quickly.
Cameroo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, there are several ways to enter programming mode. Using the hood pin, using the programming button on the command start unit, or using the button on the antenna (my method of choice as the dealer did not install the hood pin).
As stated above, the problem is not getting into the programming mode. The problem is that cycling the ignition on then off seems to kick me out of the programming mode before I get to the step where I push the LOCK button on the fob.
smokeman1 
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
No Hood pin! I wouldn't let one out the door without an active/working hood pin. It is an accident waiting to happen. For that issue I would take it back to the dealer to have the hood pin installed. That's just me & my two cents.
As far as the key on/off it might take a jumper to the ignition wire of the remote starter to bypass the PTS button issue. I have not worked with a Push-To-Start system yet.
Again not being familiar with the AutoStart systems either. But is seems that if you can get into the programing mode with the hood pin then you should be able to get the remote paired to the R/S.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2013 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like maybe you are cycling the push button to rapidly when it tells u turn the ignition on and then of the second time try going a little slower push the button 2 times turning the ignition on wait 1 or 2 seconds to verify that the ignition is turned on then press it again to turn it off if you're going too fast the computers may not be recognizing that the ignition with ever on

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic