icon

2004 beetle remote start key sense

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rksterling 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to get the Key sense to sense a wrapped key.
I found information that is saying the transponder wires are located behind the cluster and in the cable with the green connector. There are a black and green twisted pair located in this cable that I tried to install a wrapped key in series with one of the wires.
Testing it without a relay by cutting into one of the transponder wires,
I tried wrapping the key with 20 AWG stranded insulated wire. 1st tried 12 wraps in a parallel direction to the key. 2nd attempt wrapped it 7 times around the plastic housing perpendicular to the direction the key would point.
In testing this I removed the cut key and the door lock portion of the key system.
Does it matter which wire I tie this into? Black or Green??
My hope was not to have to program the two new keys I have for the vehicle by installing the programmed one inline. I realize this will bypass the theft safety feature but Im ok with that for now until I can get it in to a VW shop.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2013 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged  

It shouldn't matter which wire you use, Green or Brown.  You want to do it with the wraps over the center

section of the key-head, with the wraps as shown in this Fortin guide :
https://ifar.ca/download/11261/evo-all_volkswagen.rev-20130919.pdf
I recently did a 2002 Passat using an iDatalink bypass module.   Their method was 5 - 6 wraps over the
key-head and the same 5 - 6 wraps around the ignition switch key barrel.  I used stranded, insulated
24 AWG wire.  Worked like a champ.  Here is a link to the iDatalink install guide :
http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-VW1/ADS-AL(DL)-VW1-EN_20121130.pdf

I usually use a drop of Hot Glue to start / secure the wraps to the key-head then stealth it up with a full wrap

of black electric tape before hiding it beneath the dash.

Soldering is fun!
rksterling 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to use the programmed key and permanently bypass keysense on other keys by wiring it in series? I am wondering if the unprogrammed keys are sending another signal that is interrupting the wrapped key signal.
The only way I can think of to avoid this is cutting both keysense wires and connecting them to each side of the wrapped key?
Any suggestions?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, if the immobilizer system sees two transponder keys at the same time, it can cause problems.  The real test of your wrapped key would be via a remote start, not by using a chipped, non-programmed, key to start the car.  Is it possible to obtain a plain metal key ( no chip ) at the local Hardware store?  ( I usually do this with standard American vehicles to use as a spare hidden under the bumper.  It will open the door but not start the engine. )  A plain key and your permanent transponder bypass would work but as you already mentioned, the vehicles engine immobilizer system would be in-op and the insurance company might not pay off if it is stolen / recovered damaged, etc... 

Soldering is fun!
rksterling 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Help!!! I can't get it to read the wrapped key at all.

I wrapped it with 5 loops, 7 loops & also tried 11 loops.  Using 24 Ga stranded insulated wrap wire.

Installed it first on the green wire of the GREEN/ brown twisted pair near green connection to cluster.

Then installed it on the brown wire

Then installed it between brown and green cluster side (both wires cut and tied into)

Then installed it between brown and green other side (both wires cut and tied into)

Do I have to twist the wires together from the key to the connection to avoid signal loss? What else can I try??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

kreg357 
Posted: October 28, 2013 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  

How are you testing the key-wrap?  Did you obtain a plain metal key ( without transponder chip) ?

Why not reconnect the Green and Brown wires ( soldered connections ) back to normal and try doing it as shown in the iDatalink install guide.  Do a key wrap and then do the wrap of the ignition switch barrel.  

Soldering is fun!
rksterling 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I finally got it to work but I didn't do much differently.
Using the keyblade removed from transponder to test.
Wrapped the transponder key with 12 wraps of wrap wire. Spoke to a tech (Ted) at autostart and he gave me some tricks to try next time. He suggested using a relay and pull it apart to get the wire of the coil for wrap wire. It is light and you can put a lot of wraps on a key. It tends to transfer the signal better than other wire and a relay is cheap.
I ended up cutting both transponder wires from the ignition and added wire to take them down out of the dash for easier testing. Hooked it up after that and it worked 1st time.
One thought is that I may have connected the 2 wires from the wrapped key in the opposite direction this last time. Essentially reversed the direction it was picking up the signal from the key.
This vehicle definitely has a weak signal from the key as others have posted about VW's

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic