icon

prius c wiring upgrade big 1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
los panda 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
i did the big 3 in my old car, now i have a hybrid.
i haven't been able to find much info on wire upgrades comparable to the big 3. i plan to run 1/0 awg from the battery negative to the chassis (once i find a terminal that will fit 1/0 awg wire and the tiny battery), what else can i do to improve electrical system performance?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
No doubt you are talking about the LV distribution as opposed to the main battery and drive.
Keep in mind that performance may be limited by the dc-dc converter capability (akin to a normal car's alternator) and the size of the 12V battery.
How do you need to preform the electrical performance? What issues are you having?
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2013 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
None of it is "necessary" in the first place, and even more so NOT, with a Hybrid.   You only need better grounds when experiencing noise with audio equipment. If you don't have issues, then it don't need fixed.
Upgrading the battery primary cables will be enough.
I did one of those BIG x GROUND upgrades in one of my past cars (2000 Avenger ES), and the negative terminal looked like a chia pet within a month, and wouldn't stop corroding and building up corrosion like that. I removed all the grounds, then it was fine... I will never do that again, and never had to.
los panda 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2013 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
i figured it would help w performance; i am in the process of upgrading my stereo. i am not having any issues right now, but i am only running the rear speakers at the moment - i haven't installed the front speakers or the subwoofer. hopefully i won't run into any issues.
the existing wire from (12v) battery negative to ground looks to be about 8 awg. i have more than enough 1/0 awg left over to use.
it sounds like i shouldn't worry about unless i do have issues?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2013 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Put it this way, I only change or repair engines when a problem exists. I do not change it just in case it exists (a do or die competition may be different). [While others got conned by unleaded conversions, I saved a fortune!]
You can upgrade later if needed.
Keep in mind the limitation of the ~200V to 12V dc-dc converter.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic