icon

head unit swap 2002 dodge grand caravan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trembuzz 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2013 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
I bought a used van with an AM/FM Cassette player (hard to believe but the last owner only wanted cassette).
I found a used head unit with AM/FM, CD & cassette that I'd like to install. The connector is a different interface than my harness but from the same year and model van. Could I just splice the matching color wires to the new connector from my harness without any problems?
Thanks in advance,
trembuzz
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2013 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Is this aftermarket head units or factory? If they are aftermarket the colors should be able to be matched up. If its factory there is no guarantee that the same wire colors are there or are the same connection from one vehicle to another. I always tell everyone DO NOT CUT THE FACTORY HARNESS!!!! Buy a wiring harness from a stereo shop. You can get a female harness that would plug into your vehicle and a male harness for the new radio and connect them together. All aftermarket harnesses have the same wire colors and its a quick, easy, clean install. The Metra harness for your vehicle is a 70-6502. We would need to know what year, make, & model the new radio came out of to direct you to the right harness to the new radio
trembuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2013 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
These units are both factory from 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. The AM/FM Cassette has a two connector system 1 black and 1 grey. The AM/FM/CD/Cassette unit has 1 grey connector.
trembuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2013 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
head unit swap 2002 dodge grand caravan -- posted image.head unit swap 2002 dodge grand caravan -- posted image.
Here are the two connectors. I'm thinking that because they're from the same year and model that the wiring will have the same colors just pinned to different connectors.
trembuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2013 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Oops! This is the single connector.
head unit swap 2002 dodge grand caravan -- posted image.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
the two factory units are not compatible with each other. the newer radio uses a data signal from the car to turn on instead of just an accessory power wire like the old radios. in short, you will never get the new radio to turn on if you swap it into an older model car.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic