icon

key on/off linear actuator operation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scottyn 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2013 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
I would like some help with powering a linear actuator to open with ignition on and closed when ignition is turned off. The actuator has internal limiting switches. Can you provide a diagram and part recommendations. The application is for a hidden license plate.
Thanks
scottyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2013 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have information about using a DPDT relay to operate the linear actuator for open and close operation?
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
It depends, when you say OPEN with ignition, does that mean power it on or off?   We are to guess your actuator has two states, ON (state) OFF (state). That will determine your relay wiring.
IF, you need power for both OPEN and CLOSE, need to know that...
scottyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
The linear actuator has internal limit switches. Polarity is reversed to open and close the actuator. I am trying to open the actuator with key on @ accy/run and then have the actuator retract (close) when the key is turned off. Just like a power antenna functions. I have a DPDT relay but am a bit confused on the combination to wire the circuit. A drawing would be a huge help. The relay is an 8 post 2 for the coil 2 for the switching and 4 for the contacts. I appreciate any help you can give.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2013 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
are the limit switches spdt...3 wires for each switch?
scottyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
I was able to figure the circuit out and it bench tested perfectly. Here is how I did it. The 1st post (coil) is 12v accy/run (key on) with the other side of coil to ground. The 2nd post on accy/run side of relay is battery constant which is positive contact at rest on 4th post for up feed (retract) of linear actuator. The 3rd post is accy/run with key/ign switched on to extend linear actuator. I used jumper grounds from post 3 and 4 accy/battery side to alternating post on ground side of relay. All post go to ground on grounded side of relay. This relay is a DPDT 12V 10 amp from Allied Electronics part # R14-11D10-12 also use 1 GT08-PC Socket for this type relay.
Summary: When relay is at rest power is supplied from terminal to the retract side of the linear actuator. When ignition is turned on the power switches over to the accy terminal and extends the linear actuator. The ground has to switch to the opposite side of either circuit when activated. The linear actuator has to have limit switches to control shut off.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic