icon

remote start recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jnz1 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2013 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
I need help choosing a remote start for a 2010 Mercury Mariner. I am open to suggestions based on what works best. One thing that I'm sure will limit me is I have one key for the vehicle. I would like some good distance on the remote and the ability to turn on rear defrost and the heated seats if possible. Thanks for the help.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

The main problem is having only one working key.  Your vehicle has Ford's PATS3 engine immobilizer system.   You can

add another transponder key ( or program a bypass module ) only if you have two, unique ignition keys.  This will add
expense to this project.  Here are your current options.

1.  Go to the dealer or hi-tech locksmith and get a second ignition key cut and programmed.  Please note that we are talking

about another factory style, non-clone, unique, transponder key.   While pricey, with two keys, you can use any of the more
     popular and widely available bypass modules.  Ideally, you should have at least two working keys.

2.  Go to a place that can create a clone key.   This is a working transponder key that is identical to your current key.  Please

note that while this key is less expensive and will start the vehicle, it will not allow you to add more keys or program a
     standard bypass module.

3.  The third option is to use a bypass module that can clone the working key and therefore only needs one key to program.

This option can be expensive.  Due to restrictions and special equipment used in this process, it might be easier to try
     to get a local 12V install shop to do this for you.  To do it yourself, you would need an EVO-ALL bypass module ( $60 ) and
     the Fortin FlashLink USB cable ( $65 ) plus a PC with internet access.

4.  The "NOT RECOMMENDED" way.  Remove the transponder chip from the one working key and use that in a universal

bypass module ( 556UW $15 ).  You can set it up to supply the transponder signal only during a remote start and / or
     during a regular key start with a plain key and a hidden switch, etc.  This option is the least expensive but does compromise
     vehicle security.  The "VERY NOT RECOMMENDED" way is to simply remove the chip and secure it to the vehicles antenna
     at the ignition switch.  No PATS3 security at all!

Also check your key for a "SA" or "HA" stamp on the top of the metal blade.  While unlikely, you could have the 80 bit transponder

encryption system which would complicate matters.

As for the remote starter choice, that pretty much depends on your needs and budget.  How much range do you need?

Do you want a two-way remote that provides command confirmation?  How about a color LCD display?  The price goes up
with the fancy options. 

A trip to the dealer for another key is about $120.  A simple one button, one way system like the Avital 4113 goes for around

$50.  With two keys and the common 40 bit system, a standard bypass module like the ADS TBSL KO ( $40 ) could be used.

Soldering is fun!
jnz1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
OK, well the first thing I notice is I do have "HA" stamped at the top of the key blade. I have no problem getting a second key if that is the best solution. Do I want another key with the key less entry remote built into the key? Either way if that is the best answer and will offer less headache I will do that. As far as for the remote start the reason I was asking is I have seen and read certain bypass work better with different vehicles and I've seen some are specific to the alarm and vehicle it can work with. I would like enough range out if it to be able to start it from within work, and have it be able to turn on the rear defrost and possible heated seats as my hvac is all buttons and no physical knobs that are left on or off. 2 way notification would be nice. The models I was glancing at so far are Viper 5704, Ultrastart 4295 lcd pro, Python 574, I am really open. When I look the options are endless and there are a ton of brands.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  

A simple test will determine if the HA key is an 80 bit system.  Check out the Pictorial on the 2012 Lincoln MKZ.  It

details the test.

An extra key is the best answer.   You should be able to get a basic transponder key ( without RKE buttons ) and save a few

dollars.  With a full function remote start with keyless entry system, you won't need the factory RKE buttons.

The systems you mentioned are also alarm systems.  Do you want an after-market alarm system?  The install is slightly more

complicated due to the Ford N.C. door triggers.

You are correct that matching the bypass, remote start system and the vehicle are important.   With your vehicle, the bypass

module will only handle the transponder and nothing else.  Going D2D or W2W is almost a moot point for the extra 3
wires that have to be connected.  In W2W mode you can use any bypass module you want with any R/S system.

As for the R/S system, any major brand will provide the quality you desire.  Just remember that none will support a DIY

install or provide a warranty.

Soldering is fun!
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
If you go with a python or viper system and a DBALL for the bypass you can do the install with one working key and the dball will turn on your heated seats for you at a temperature you select during programming. you would also need an XKLOADER2 in order to program the bypass. Rear defroster would need to be hooked up to one of the AUX channels and wont be done by the bypass. Ive done a bunch of Ford/Mercury/Mazda vehicles with one key. Its a little extra programming but not bad. The install would also be a little easier since you can use D2D to connect the R/S to the DBALL...alot less connections than W2W
jnz1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
What would you say is the most popular model? I am liking the viper 5704. Not sure I need a full alarm, but it looks like a nice unit for not much more. 1 mile range is nice, doubt i'd ever need that much, but with buildings and such it'd be nice. What are my options with the bypass? I wouldn't worry about hooking up a few more wires vs paying double or triple price for the bypass. I can get the second transponder key for $10. How about these negative lock triggers is there an easy solution built into one of these bypasses? What would be needed to have the heat turn on and rear defrost since mine are buttons that shut off once the car shuts off. Also possible heated seats turn on if not to much more of a pain.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
Viper 4704.(Older version Viper 5501) Remote start/Keyless Entry only. LCD 2 way remote. Same range as Viper 5704.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
jnz1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Bypass recommendation?
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
If you aren't buying a 2nd key you would need to use a dball or ads-al-ca from idatalink and follow the cloning programming ($50 modules). If u get another key a PKTX or ads-tb ($25-30 modules) In my eyes a dB all or ads-al-ca is a waste for those cars since they are modules that give you locks, door/hood/trunk pins, disarm etc. on most vehicles, just not Ford/Mercury. Only reason to use them is inability/unwillingness to get the 2nd key
jnz1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
What is involved with the door triggers to get them to work?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic