looking for on an older zenisis 402

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gr8twhite 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all.
First off: I'm not a professional installer. I am a capable "hobbiest".
I'm an auto tech and an Aviation tech so I can find my way around electronics reasonably well. As an idea to my ability: I took a caddy CTSV steering wheel and adapted it to my 98 GMC. I cracked open the cruise and audio control buttons, remapped the circuit traces, built a resistor ladder, used a 2002 impala clockspring and fed it into the OEM radio for steering wheel audio control. Then cracked into the cruise buttons and made them work with the OEM cruise. Wheel heat and illumination works also. Finally, I used the "cell phone" button to control the nands free cell phone interface in the Cobra Cb radio I have in the truck.
Like I said, not a pro but I can find my way around.
:)
As mentioned, I've got a 1998 GMC K2500 turbo diesel. Basically, it's stone axe simple compared to today's rigs. Only convenience features are OEM remote/key-less entry. The keyless entry sucks though, you have to be within a few feet or significantly elevated above the truck (IE:second floor window)for it to work. I tried new batteries, relocating the keyless module, extending the antenna, etc. Nothing made it better. This is where I thought an aftermarket remote might be good: increased range and maybe a few more "jammy" modern features.
I was browsing ebay (yes, evil-bay)and ran across a (claimed) NIB Zenesis Z-402 AS. A quick search revealed it was a Canadian "company" and went out of business a while ago. Documentation is nearly non existent except for the occasional mention on a forum here or there.
It was 50 bucks and I figured all I had to loose was....well, 50 bucks. The seller seemed reasonably knowledgeable about it, came off as honest, sent me additional pictures of all the included bits so it seemed a fair risk for 50 bucks. He said all the documentation is there, but did not specifically mention the install manual nor provided a picture of it. Still, only 50 bucks.....so caution to the wind and I bought it.
A bit more searching seems to indicate that it was made by "easycar" or whoever they were at the time. There seems to be a bit of Compustar connection too, but that's mostly irrelevant to my questions here. All those Korean companies seem pretty "cross bred" anyways and quality reports are from great to horrible.
Meh, 50 bucks is worth the risk for the chance of better remote range and the possibility of remote start. Things like window roll up on exit, park light flash, "knock to enter" and what not would just be a bonus.Truthfully, I probably won't even hook up the siren: they're mostly just a nuisance these days anyways. Does anyone even pay attention to them anymore?
A google search pulled up the EW402AS from Easycar and it looks pretty close to the older Zenesis:
looking for on an older zenisis 402 - Last Post -- posted image.
Even the brain on the Easycar is marked M-5000 and the Zenesis is M-5300. That's all pretty coincidental if they don't at least come from the same factory.
Problem is: the eBay Zenesis probably doesn't have an install manual, only the user manual.
So I'm looking for one. All I need is what the outputs from the "brain" are, the rest is easy enough to figure out.
Anyone have one around or know where I may be able to download one?
Any chance the wiring harnesses are standardized colors for certain input/outputs?
The Zenesis site is long gone and the Easycar manual is obviously for newer versions.
Easycar has thier manuals up on thier site: http://www.easycaralarm.com/data/installation/M5000-EW402AS_EV402AS.pdf
Any chance they may work for the Zenesis? It seems to me there would be too many years separating the two units to think the harness diagram would be the same.
There is an install manual on The12volt.com fro a Zenesis 502: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=834
I suppose I could compare the Easycar 402 PDF and the Zenesis 502 pdf...
Any advice or help (besides the cheeky "throw it away and get a real one" answer ;) ) is welcome.
gr8twhite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
Here's another pic I found of the Zenesis:
That's from a store called "Princess Auto". It's sort of a clearing house for automotive and farm stuff. Probably left over stuff from the Canadian Zenesis branch.
They sell it for 150 bucks without the siren, sensors and assorted bits.
I'm 3.5 hrs (by highway)away from the nearest store, but I have a business trip at the end of the month that takes me to the city they're located in. Maybe I'll drop by and see if they might have a manual I could photocopy...
gr8twhite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention: GM passlock anti-theft is not a factor.
I have turned it off in the calibration on the PCM. It always seemed kind of stupid anyways: Jam a screwdriver in the ignition barrel, force it to turn. The PCM doesn't know if it's a key or a screwdriver since the transponder piece is in the column and it lets the thief drive right off.
It usually causes more trouble for the owner than a thief as they fail when they get older and then you're stuck with a car that won't run until you replace the passlock module. Great idea Gm....
I have tuning software that allows me to change pretty much anything in the PCM and passlock was one of the first things to go....
I would have added these posts to the original, but I don't have 50 posts yet.
Cheers
gr8twhite 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just a follow up: package arrived. Brand new in box, never opened other than the box seal.
Came with all the manuals including the installation manual.
Seller even chucked in a couple extra remotes gratis.
Between that and the few tutorials on GMT400 chassis installs here on the forum I should be good!
Cheers

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic