trunk pop in 93 crown victoria

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
talktotravis 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
In the process of installing a Compustar CS-600 remote start (no security) in a 1993 Crown Victoria. Like most RS units I've seen, the Compustar provides a negative output for trunk pop, and unlike most cars I've seen, the Crown 'Vic takes a POSITIVE pulse to pop the trunk.
I have seen conflicting information, both in the archives here (searched 'em) and various tech/wiring sites. I know that no matter what, I need a relay and I'm very comfortable with them. Since I will be installing this at the switch, my question is: Do I need to only convert the Compustar (-) output to (+) and "T" into the wire going to the solenoid? OR do I need to do this as a 5-wire setup, as some posts advise.
I'd rather not fry anything and since either way takes the same amount of time and resources, I'd rather only have to do it once.
On another note, the Crown 'Vic takes a negative pulse to activate the horn, which the compustar provides. Do I need to use a relay to boost this ground output, or do you find that the (-) output provided for the horn honk gives enough current to activate the horn as is? Both are simple to do, but again, I'd rather just do it once.
Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. This is a fantastic community, and I'm proud to be a part of it.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Should just be converting the polarity. No 5 wire needed off your going to the switch
I'm not familiar with compustar but I've never needed a relay for the horn
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Do not tap your alarm wire into the solenoid wire. You need to catch the wire at the switch in the car. The switch in the car trips a relay that powers the solenoid. The solenoid takes some serious current. Your alarm supplies 1/2 an amp at most.
talktotravis 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
I see what you're saying, but since the alarm outputs a (-) and the car needs a (+) trigger, I'm using a Bosch relay anyway...85 is the negative from the alarm, 86 and 87 to fused 12 volts positive, 30 to the solenoid at the dash, 87a open. This will convert the polarity and should provide the current needed. Does this sound ok?
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yup.
talktotravis 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
buddholly wrote:
Yup.
Thanks, buddholly :)