the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

reeeaaallly dumb

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radarcontact 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
...from someone who should know the answers!
It's been quite a long time since I even thought about audio things, and I just can't remember anything right now -- major mental blockage! So, be gentle...
-I have a pair of car subs, old RF HE-3s, laying around. Dual 4-ohm VC jobbies.
-I want to add some bass to my garage system which currently consists of an old Yamaha receiver and some MTM configuration cheapo towers that are built into my custom garage cabinetry. These used to be paired to a sub but it recently fried. They are like 3" mids and a 1/2" tweet. Really cheapo, but they sound pretty decent, surprisingly. Lol
Now...
A) I could use both subs, wiring each of them in series to 8-ohms each and getting a couple simple 6db xovers, use them WITH the towers, all powered by the Yamaha off channel "A"
-OR-
B) I could use both, wired 8-ohm, off channel "B" and just let both sets (subs and towers) receive full freqs, but that's kinda lame due to lack of any control
-OR-
C) buy a cheap plate amp to run the subs, but then I still am running the towers well below their freq range
-OR-
D) COULD I use 1 of the subs and run the yamaha left channel to one set of the sub's VC and the yamahas right channel to the other set of the sub's VC?? This is where I am at a mental block! I can't remember if this is a viable option! If so, I could then look at option A or B above using only one sub. Using one sub would take up a lot less room from my cabinets, so might be the favored game plan.
Feeling stupid,
Radar
RadarContact
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

before you buy a bunch of stuff.....

build high pass crossovers inlione from set "A"  for your towers.

cross the subs on "B" like you mentioned.

might not be deep throbbing bass since they are all from the same amp

if you want to hear the subs more, add an L-pad to the towers.

see what you think.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
radarcontact 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
itsyuk wrote:

before you buy a bunch of stuff.....

build high pass crossovers inlione from set "A"  for your towers.

cross the subs on "B" like you mentioned.

might not be deep throbbing bass since they are all from the same amp

if you want to hear the subs more, add an L-pad to the towers.

see what you think.

So essentially make 3-way systems out of the tower/sub combos?
Use ~50 uf cap on the pos tower lead to cross around 300hz @ 6 DB? That sound about right?
That seems to be the smartest approach...sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees! ;)
RadarContact

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic