icon

cooling fans question.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 soundstream amps a 4 channel lil' wonder and a rubicon class a 10.2. I am going to be running low impeadences, .67 on my sub amp and 2 ohms on my 4 channel. The amps are going to be mounted in the back of a camaro in the cargo hatch. I have my speaker box laying across the small area where my amps are going to be so there won't be any real airflow. I want to mount a stinger SF2 cooling fan back there so I don't choke my amps to death. This is my first time dealing with fans and I am not sure what would be the best power source to use. I was thinking about running it off of the remote wire off of my amp and grounding it off of the chassis. Would this cause any problem with my amp as far as extra power being sucked off. I already have the same remote wire running to both of my amps and I don't want to over do it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks,
J. Mike Perkins
Ryan Smith 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

If you have your sub enclosure laying across the "amp rack" or where ever the amps are, and you say they will not have a source of fresh air - then fans aren't going to help you much - a better system design would however.  If the amps are in their own sealed off area, then the fans are going to do nothing more than recirculate already warm air...one way or another, they need to be able to breathe, or you will have problems if the amps overheat.  Look into venting the area into the interior of the car more, or outside through a hole covered with a membrane of goretex or something like that...

Also - as far as wiring them, do not tie any fan into the remote wire - you will likely overload your head unit's turn-on transistor and fry it.  Any time you are running more than a couple amps or processors, etc on a remote line, or need to control a fan, neon, etc - do the following with a simple Bosch relay:

30 - To constant 12 volts +, such as from your amp's main power line back from the battery.  Put a 5 amp fuse on it for added protection.

87 - To the turn-on terminal of all amps, processors, and the positive power lead of neon, fans, etc.

85 - Ground

86 - To the head unit's turn-on wire.

87a - No connection

This way, when you turn your deck on, it will trip the relay, and provide up to a 5 amp (or whatever the fuse rating is) signal to the turn-ons of everything, and pose a very minimal draw on the head unit's internal circuit.  Take the negative leads of the fans, neon, what not straight to ground and you are in business.

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
That gave me an idea. I will run the power wire off of the side of my 200 amp relay to my fans for a remote turn on. When I start my car then the fan will get juice. I have a second optima yellow top batter so I will just use the exhisting relay. Actually there is some space for fresh air to enter the area that holds my amps. I will arrange the fan so it blows towards the back of the car where the 3/4 by 25 inch slot is. Hopefully it will blow out the hot air. The fan blows 106 cubic ft. per minute, would this be enough or should I buy two, and are the fans loud. I don't want to drive around with my stereo off and hear a fan roaring from the back. Is the stinge fan control unit a worthy investment and easy to install.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic